1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could someone recommend an adsl modem/router please

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by dn852004, Jul 24, 2004.

1. dn852004

dn852004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    At present I am using an ICS with a usb modem given to me as part of the broadband package. I am with tiscali broadband and when using xbox live I need to have my computer running fully to be able to connect to xbox live but Ive heard with ethernet modems/routers you can have the computer turned off when on xbox live is this right? Ive noticed what seems a decent priced modem/router 'Netgear DG632' The 'Netgear DG632' has a usb port and an etherport, would i just connect the usb port to the computer and the ethernet to my xbox via a cross over cable? Sorry if this seems a silly question but i don't know much about networking yet.

I may also be looking into wireless connection, any advice on equipment needed/general prices would be much appreciated also are they reliable? Would need to go from front of house 1st floor to front of house ground floor.

2. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I was on the same setup with Freeserve and bought a modem/router from E-buyer
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48449

Sorry for the size of the link , i've lost my Tiny Url web page.
    Works fine for me and also networked my brothers pc next door and added a wireless access point for my other brother downstairs. All worked without failure for 4 months now. Again i went wireless using E-buyer cheapie branded stuff.
    I just plugged my x-box cable into one of the 4 ports and it worked straight away.
    Netgear stuff i have no personal experience with but the general setup should suit you fine.

Panic

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Don't buy one with only 1 ethernet port as you may regret it later and need to add a seperate switch. Most come with 4 ports and many now have wireless as well. Depends on your budget but I have a couple friends in the business and they recommend Dlink at the cheap end and Draytek at the business end (I have a Draytek 2600 and it's rock solid).

And, yes, you can leave it connected without the PC on. You will need an ethernet port on your PC or wireless though.

If you are sure you will only ever want 1 PC and an xbow then the netgear may be ok if it's very cheap.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i vote linksys tehy do some great gear check dabs and ebuyer for exact specs.

5. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,461

6. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,461
  7. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Another vote for Linksys here :thumbsup:
    Part of the Cisco family, reliable and just as important they are very user friendly.

As long as you have a NIC card on your PC forget about USB, ethernet all the way.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,461
  10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no idea mate just got an email about it today! personally i like linksys kit!

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    linksys wireless B is all you need mate - has 4 wired ports and is wireless to 11g as well. If you're going to do a lot of transferring of large info between networked PC's then the wireless G (54g) would be an option, for data transfer reasons. If you're just using it to share broadband then 11g is fine.

Great, solid router which is a doddle to set up and gives great performance. Both B & G version Amazon links below :

Wireless B

Wireless G

12. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Draytek do a wireless model in the 2600 range, I think it's the 2600G? There are several 2600's, all with different options. Mine is the 'X' and has ISDN backup.

The Drayteks are mission critical routers with excellent security and stability. They are a cut above the Dlink, linksys, Netgear etc. stuff and give you that extra level of stability. Although, those are fine products for the money. It's all about matching cost to purpose. I have a Linksys switch that crashes about once a month and takes the network down. These kinds of glitches you expect with a cheaper product. Then again, I have a BenQ one that I payed £10 for off Ebay and it's rock solid.

I believe the 2500 is an older model but not sure on that.

13. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Can anybody give me some pointers on setting up and using a Linksys WAG54G with BTopenworld/BT Yahoo, had the gear 4 months and not got it doing what I want yet.

The computer network side is working but it's the ADSL modem bit that refuses to play and as is always the case it's this bit I bought it for. I want to allow other computers access to the Internet preferably with only the computer in use being switched on. Long way to go before networking gets easy…. :mad:

14. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Despite the low ratings on this site i have one of these:
    SMC Barricade

I use it for my pc, xbox and ps2 online and ive never had any trouble with it.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    As long as account is activated all you need to do is input the info in to the modem section of the router. May require a tech support call, to find out PPoe info etc

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Linksys here as well. I have the 54g router a wirless g pcmia card for my laptop and a wireless g bridge for the xbox. The range is great, I can browse the net on my laptop at the end of my road (Around 50m from the linksys wireless router on the second floor of my house)

One problem. the only think that I cant get working right is Xbox live via the wireless bridge. The bridge is setup right from What I can tell and does everything except connect to live (If connected to a pc the pc can browse net wireless) THe xbox is gettting its ip address and the rest of the settings from the bridge, resolve dns etc but for some reason it cant connect to live.

Can someone give me some pointers on getting the wireless bridge to work with XBlive :lease: I already have xbconnect working via the laptop (Wireless of course) IF I cant get it to work I will have to stick with xbconnect.....

By the way Amazon seems to be cheap for the Linksys gear. Thats where I got all mine from. Free delivery within a couple of days.

17. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    some of the linksys kit recommended is cable only.. not adsl.

also, some of the kit recommended here has no adsl modem, so you'd need to buy that extra

18. joyfulprozac

joyfulprozac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham I own the wag54g and found the setup very easy. Once you've used the BT usb modem to setup your account, disconnect it and then plug the adsl gateway into your ehternet port. The instructions are pretty straightforward. Simply follow them when you direct your browser to the routers admin functions at http://192.168.1.1 That is the address of the routers setup utilities. I am on BT Broadband and followed the setup laid down in the instruction leaflet. The basic setup page allows you to input your username and password (if needed) into the router and set it up so its always connected. The instructions tell you about how to set PPoE etc. Visit www.linksys.com for support. Their knowledge base is excellent.

I'm wired in and my housemate accesses the web wirelessly, on his laptop elsewhere in the house and everything seems to work just fine. Important point:make sure all your phone points have microfilters on them. Even the one you plug your sky into otherwise your internet access will be kaputt.
    Good luck mate.