1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could someone pse tell me the benefits of a scaler and a bargin priced one.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mistycat, Mar 20, 2005.

1. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased a Samsung 50 inch DLP. I was wondering if a scaler will give me a pq almost that of HDTV. Also, I was wondering if there was one for a bargin price. I am not after perfection, just as close to HD from my sky+ box that I can get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :hiya:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What resolution is the Samsung? Scalers can give excellent PQ, whether you'd compare it to hidef is perhaps open to debate.

3. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1280 by 720p. It is the L50HX model. Cheers

4. Mike Khain

Mike Khain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I would probably recommend you DVDO iScan HD or HD+ depends on the setup. The picture quality out of your dvd would look very simular to HDTV broadcast. We actually used to have Samsung DLP in our office and unfortunately i would say that we have not seen a scaler which would be able enchance the picture quality from the sat by much.

Thnak you

Best regards,
    Mike

5. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Lumagen HD is the other one to check out at the price point...

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    From what Ive heard you cant bypass the samsungs internal scaling, so Im affraid no scaler will have any worthwhile effect :(

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Actually a scaler can still have a verybeneficial affect even if there is still rescaling being done by the display.

Remember a scaler has to take in analogue and dgital sources, de-interlace them where possible and then scale them. In amongst this analogue signals have to be digitised, all signals likely as not go through colour space transformations. Noise removal processes may happen and in the case of Lumagens you also have ability to do 5 point rgb gamma calibrations on each input and memory...where there may not even be an option to do it in the plasma. Then there's Y/C delay ablities to line up colour and black and white info on screen to remove fringing....and advanced colour decoder adjustments to deal with sources with non spec signals....so all in all quite alot of areas where a scaler could prove worthwhile...

Gordon

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey gang

Been looking on the Plasma Enhancer Pixel Plus thingy website - any one know about this newbie???

Dil

9. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +144
    My Lumagen Vision DVI (calibrated by Gordon BTW), makes a MASSIVE difference to Sky. And everything else, come to think of it. Well worth the money. :clap:

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Gordon, it was just that I remembered that John had tried external scaling (the Lumagen I now own in fact :) ) with his Samsung and had no success :smashin: