1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could someone please give me their thoughts on this system

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stu Ward, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  2. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I wouldn't touch it.......remember the old saying

He who seeks something for nothing usually ends up with nothing for something!

If you want to buy a plasma then get out and demo, read these forums, then find the best combination of screen, service and price...in that order! :)

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    yes, good advice....I think you can take the lack of response here as people perhaps not wishing to be rude......but without even a warranty you would be royally b*ggered mate! (I aslo notice amongst the sellers reviews he has supplied cameras that don't work and even one stuffed with empty cigarette packets instead of electronics!!)

4. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hehehe i read that too, but took it as a bogus rate

I will do as you guys say and get out there and demo

Thanks a lot

Stu

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's deffo too cheap, either non-existent or knocked off.

6. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The guys got too good a rating to be non existant

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never posted that...I've only just got up... :confused:

8. JeffLaws1

JeffLaws1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Hitachi 42pd4200 from richer sounds, now i know the Pannasonic lovers here will scoff but I 've found this screen to be quiet wonderfull despit the 1st 1 going wrong after 4 hours, richer sounds just changed it over the same day, no questions, no arguments. The staff at my local branch were great, good advice, excellent service.

They talked me out of the Phillips 37" that I originaly went to look at. Ok so it cost me £600 more but having seen the Phillips screen and how crap it was, boy am I glad.

My advice would be to steer clear of this ebay system, for £600 your going to get £200 worth of crap. Stay away from Currys and the likes, most of the staff are morons and have little to no product knowledge. If you have a Richer Sounds store near by go there first.

If its under £15000 be wary, you'll probably put yourself of plasma for life.

9. Stu Ward

Stu Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    15K on a telly !!!!!!!!!

What do you think i am a pro footballer, i have to pay £5 every sunday to put a shirt on !!

:clap:

Stu

10. iranu

iranu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The item on ebay looks suspiciously like a Tiny plasma as advertised in the national press. BEWARE. Save up for a proper one and have a mooch about on these forums for advice and deals.

11. JeffLaws1

JeffLaws1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Stu, ok so i cant type worth a damn, £1,500.

12. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the one in the ebay item, based on the quoted resolution would appear to be an ALIS panel jobby, so could probably be an hitachi or clone - either way 'Pole barge touch don't with a' would apply here :)

Gary

13. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Im in swindon and have asked to view before i bid. (im not going to, just curious)

14. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    what a suprise, their response was: Hi,

Unfortuantly we work on a secure site and our warehouse isnt open to the public due to health and safety reasons.

Regards
    Bargainsdirectuk

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    *lol* yep...big surprise!

16. NikosF

NikosF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Saw this post, and thought I would add some fact to all this conjecture :)

I took the plunge, and ordered the setup from this guy. It's legit.

It's NOT the Tiny system - it's actually the Sky system - which is sold here in the UK (which in turn is a rebranded Hitachi).

Obviously what happened is Sky over-ordered, and is dumping these on the market. THey have had the 'Sky' logos removed - literally scratched off the DVD player and subwoofer (although you can see it used to say Sky) - and the badge off the front of the plasma has been unscrewed (leaving two holes unfortunately).

They have also ripped the cover page off the instruction manuals (although inside it refers to Sky), and the background screen for the DVD player says Sky DVD when there is no disc inside.

The Sky setup (with the 1024 x 1024 Hitachi screen) sells for £3,500 - this is selling for less than £1k. I haven't got a guarantee - but, hey, you've got to live dangerously sometimes. In this case the lunch was free.

My verdict - first some context. I saw my first 42" plasma in 1998 in the US (my employer of the time bought one for the conference room) and it cost $25k. I've been following them since then - reading reviews, and waiting for the price to drop to an acceptable level (and half waiting for LCD to come of age). So - this is my first plasma, but I've demo'd A LOT (both in the US where I used to live and now the UK), and read a lot. I still figure than in 24 months I'll buy another LCD/plasma - by then the technology will have 'stabilised' and will be very affordable. This is a stop-gap solution for me (as would a £2k Panny have been).

The plasma screen itself is awesome - I like the fact that it has 1024x1024 resolution which should 'future-proof' it for a while. Lots of inputs (component x2, scart x2, composite, DVI, and a PC monitor), it included speakers (which are separate, but can be bolted to the side - just as in the Sky package). One warning - it is a monitor, not a 'TV' (no built in tuner) - but my Sky unit works just fine.

The DVD and surround sound system that comes with it leaves a little to be desired. It is also Region-2 only which is very annoying, the 5 speakers are very small, and the sub-woofer is cheaply built. Sky is selling the system for £300 (on their website), but frankly it's not worth more than £100 at best. I've got a home theater sound system, so won't be needing that - it was the plasma I was after.

So - recommended at the price!! It arrived via courier a week after ordering (that week included the Easter weekend). Screen great, surround sound system fine to start with, but you'll want a better audio setup.

(And - no, I have no connection to the seller in any form, other than as a happy customer).

17. JeffLaws1

JeffLaws1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You brave fool you :thumbsup: seriously, pleased it worked out ok for you, if it is the sky system then its probably a Hitachi.

18. NikosF

NikosF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Another update.

Figured out how to make it region-free. (Same instructions as for Sky HTS-3200 elsewhere on the net). So - that's one less gripe (although the sound-system is still a cheap & nasty)

On the plasma - connected the screen to my PC, and ran one of the Microsoft HD WMV files (IMAX) at 1024x768.

Holy cr*p it looks good! If any of you have a screen that's high resolution - I seriously recommend downloading a few of these files (they are about 70-100MB each). If Dixons ran these HD sources though their screens, they would be selling a lot more plasmas (although it would be unfair since there aren't any HD sources yet).

The ebay seller now has a starting bid of £895 on these. More than I paid - but still a bargain (if you can stomach the lack of warranty).