Could someone please check my htpc before I purchase it

cameronl

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi there, I'm building myself a dedicated htpc and I was hoping that someone could provide a check on my components :)

My aim is for a totaly silent htpc that will be run as a multi-zone/mutli-source media server as well as a dvd player. The software consists of Xlobby, Winamp (wav), TheaterTek.

I already have a Lynx-TWO B & RME9632/A-O4 in another computer so I'll be putting these cards into my new htpc.

My new HTPC will have the following parts.

1. Claritas 390M case
2. MSI 915GM-Speedster-FA4, I915GM, m-ATX Socket-479 (Pentium M),GbLAN, PCI-Ex16
3. Intel Pentium M 780 2.26GHz PC533, 2MB
4. Scythe Ninja Fanless Cooler (passive cooler for cpu)
5. Gx21gb4300dc Geil® Value Ddr2 1gb Pc4300 Dual Channel Kit (2x512mb) 533mhz (4-4-4-12)
6. Yesico 350ATX(T) Fanless 350W PSU 0db/A
7. Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 100GB 5400RPM SATA 2.5" 9,5mm (laptop hd)
8. Gigabyte Geforce 6600GT (passive cooler)
9. Plextor PX-716SA Serial ATA 16x16 Dual Layer DVD±RW ReWriter

I'll use a ReadyNAS X6 (in another room) with 4 * Hitachi 500 GB drive for the music and movie storage.

Are these components good enough? If not, what else should I be looking at?

thanks for your time.

CaM

I have no experience with the Yesico PSU, but as it's entirely passive, heat may be an issue.

I use and thoroughly recommend the Elan Vital Greenerger 400w PSU. Totally silent, extremely efficient and although I have the fan set on on ssm mode (comes on when needed), I've never actually heard it come on in the 3 months or so I've been using it.

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/psu.php have a good selection of silent/quiet PSU's....

D.

Thats close to my spec. I'd backup the Elan Greenerger PSU suggestion, totally silent with my system. Very happy.

Will that cooler sit on the CPU ok, I know the AOpen i915 board has a special cooler supplied.

As to the 2.5" disk, I've just read that there are now some disks designed for continual use "always on" they're called which makes me think my Travelstar might fail sooner than normal... Seen them on http://www.span.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_512_625

Might be worth looking at some rubber disk mounts for the disk. Although 2.5" disks are very quiet you can still here a slight clicking when screwed tightly into a metal chassis. You will have to use a 2.5 - 3.5" adaptor rails then some anti-vibration rubber mounts which take this upto a 5 1/4 drive slot. Works very well for me.

hi there, thanks for the information.

the Elan Vital Greenerger 400w PSU looks an excellant powersupply. I like how it can be run silently or in auto mode with the fan in ssm.

Yes, the ninja passive cooler maybe too big - i'll look for a smaller alternative.

I have thought about suspending my laptop drive; though i'd prefer my hd attached to the chasis in some form - all be it without vibrations etc...

CaM

HiZ said:
Thats close to my spec. I'd backup the Elan Greenerger PSU suggestion, totally silent with my system. Very happy.

Will that cooler sit on the CPU ok, I know the AOpen i915 board has a special cooler supplied.

As to the 2.5" disk, I've just read that there are now some disks designed for continual use "always on" they're called which makes me think my Travelstar might fail sooner than normal... Seen them on http://www.span.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_512_625

Might be worth looking at some rubber disk mounts for the disk. Although 2.5" disks are very quiet you can still here a slight clicking when screwed tightly into a metal chassis. You will have to use a 2.5 - 3.5" adaptor rails then some anti-vibration rubber mounts which take this upto a 5 1/4 drive slot. Works very well for me.

I wouldn't use the fanless PSU! I've tried to go that way and it's now gathering the dust in my cupboard. It was silent but generated so much heat that i couldn't get the heat out of the case and swapped it for my old cheap PSU, just added fan controller to make it as silent as possible. It works great now and temp inside case is dropped by 20 celsius!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom