Could someone ID this spider for me please?

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We seem to have a nest of them somewhere as over the last 3 years we killed/saw quite a few of them. They are usually really big (as you can see on the photo) and have a nasty looking big jaws.

I have a toddler at home and am a bit worried that sooner or later he will come across one.

I am thinking of getting some pest control company to get rid of them. They are quite nasty looking creatures.

That's the one I saw in my bath

3zNGvcS.jpg

That's one from few days ago (taken with a shaky hand of my mrs) in living room

mZu4yp8.jpg

Definitely two different breeds...

The second one was around 2 inches big, the first about 3 inches plus (with legs).

I take that "false widow" is not a good thing to have around?

The second one was around 2 inches big, the first about 3 inches plus (with legs).

I take that "false widow" is not a good thing to have around?

It's about as venomous as a bee or wasp sting by all accounts, the country has wrongly collectively shat itself over this critter

It's about as venomous as a bee or wasp sting by all accounts, the country has wrongly collectively shat itself over this critter

Well, it might be not much for an adult, but a 3yo skin is much thinner and who know what kind of reaction he would get.

incy wincy...

Well, it might be not much for an adult, but a 3yo skin is much thinner and who know what kind of reaction he would get.

Yes, I'd just take sensible precautions like you would against bees or wasps. We're lucky in this country there's no creature big or small that can really harm you unless you're very susceptible due to allergy etc

Glass over top. Paper slid underneath. Out the window.

Or a nice timberland boot love that crunch lol

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

These can be dealt with quickly and permanently......

Burn the house down and move on. Maybe go back packing :smashin:

It's the simple solutions that are the best.......

Both pretty harmless.

One that is finally moving North is Segestria florentina Which has a nasty bite and is a bit of an animal, but needs a bit of winding up before attacking.

I am thinking of getting some pest control company to get rid of them. They are quite nasty looking creatures.
ha ha ha Good luck with that one and please post back here once the bug and fly eaters are all gone and your house is full of flies :rotfl:

They look look like completely normal run of the mill spiders to me. What were you expecting, that they would be wearing dresses or something?

Back in the 70s we found a spider in our house with a legspan exceeding that of the largest recorded British spider. We let it walk all over us.

Household spiders don't worry me except the bigger ones leave droppings everywhere (little black round dots on the skirting boards) as well as cobwebs.

They hunt at night and the really BIG ones have a tendency to fall off ceilings onto your bed or into your bath. Hehehe.

I'm surprised the 3-year old toddler hasn't eaten them. :cool:

Top one looks like a house spider. They both have large pedipalps so they are probably running around the house looking for a female to mate with before they die.

That's Brian. I haven't seen him in years. Say hello from me when you next see him

Last edited:
I don't know why I keep looking at this thread, I hate spiders more than anything in the world....Apart from weird things in the see.
I can handle any other type of bug or creepy crawly without a problem.
I once fitted an Alarm system in a house, the guy was very good at asking me if I minded Snakes..As long as they are tanks I am fine. He assured me that all 25 :eek: were safely away and accounted for.
No problem.....BUT he forgot to mention the 10 varieties of nasty ass spiders he had....
He had to put them all in the shed for the day :(

The time to worry is when you arm wrestle with them - and lose.
I did put one out once (same as the top picture) that was big enough I could feel it's weight on my hand.

I know an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her...

Long distance barbecue?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom