1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could someone double check my connections for me ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kronin, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Kronin

Kronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello :)

Although I will eventually get round to building a dedicated HCPC (all the threads in here have certainly given me food for thought), for the moment Im planning on hooking up my existing workstation PC to my TV/AMP, at the very least just to get an idea on how it all works.

My PC has a SBLive 5.1 and an Asus GF3 with TV-out - this im hoping to connect to my Denon AVR1803 and Sony TV respectively.

I dont really want/need a DD5.1 or DTS output from my PC, all I want to do for the moment is listen to some mp3's and videos now and again - nothing special, Im going to stick with my standalone DVD player for everything else for the time being at least.

The (possible) minor problem I have is that although all the equipment is in the same room, theyre about 8metres apart! So Ive done some hunting and have found a 15metre S-Video lead at Maplin, and Lecktropacks are selling 10metre 3.5mm stereo jack > 2 phono plug leads. So Id plug one end of the s-video into the tv-out on the geforce and the other into the s-video input on the tv, and then plug the 3.5mm jack into (not sure which output on the soundcard I should be using?) and then plug the two phonos into one of the sets of analogue sockets on the back of the Denon.

The question is........ Will this work ? :D

As I said im not really doing this for the usual gains and am aware that going this route may hamper the quality somewhat, but if someone could hint as to what exactly I could expect to see this would of course be appreciated :)

Cheers all.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds alright, you may want to try www.cpc.co.uk for cables, they are well cheap!

3. Kronin

Kronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John - and your right, www.cpc.co.uk is much cheaper than the other places I was looking at. Managed to pick up both cables for half the price of the maplin/lektropack route - thanks again! :)