• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Could not find the right place but...

rchads89

Banned
HDMI Cables i have searched for a thread about it and could not find one... Do high quality HDMI cables matter? Picture wise does it acutally make a difference??? So say like i went and bought a HDMI cable from the range 10-50 what would be the difference from the cheaper HDMI Cable to the Higher more quality priced one. Would it be sharper? Fantastic better picture?

I ask myself they has got to be a difference if there on the market and people are buying them?

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Can of worms...

But...

HDMI is a digital standard, thus it cannot be degraded by the cable in the same way analogue can.

All I care about is the build quality and that it wont fall to pieces in a few months time.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Anything under 1m wont make a difference in quality, just get the cheapest. Tesco do them for £3

Surely being digital you either have signal or not, and selling a cable of X meters that does not give a signal is in breach of the sale of goods act?

WHUFC

Banned
Surely being digital you either have signal or not, and selling a cable of X meters that does not give a signal is in breach of the sale of goods act?

I just remember when i was asking for advice in setting up my home network, they said when connecting any HDMI cables if it's under 2m then dont buy expensive ones as it doesnt make any difference.

Thats all i know :)

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I need to head over to the cable forum to find out as i'm getting a 10m cable soon, ideally going for a £15 one rather than paying £100+
Need to do my research, but i've always thought it either works or doesn't being digital and connectors and cable are not impacted by gold plating etc.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
I am running a 15m HDMI cable from my amp to projector. I paid £15 from an Amazon retailer. Work's perfectly and seem's very well made.

pandemic

A "cheap" 10 meter cable should be fine, the only problems I've ever had with HDMI cables are badly made connecters (bits that plug into the device(s)), this is rare though. Anybody who manufacters HDMI cables must follow the standard testing policies, so if they do they obviously work. I'm still surprised at the ripoff cable prices in stores.
From what I hear anything under 20m is usually fine, but very long cables 30m or more could cause problems. Anyone else know if this is true? does sound plausible over that over very long distances a voltage drop could make a "1" appear as a "0".

rchads89

Banned
ok cheers guys i know some can support 1080p and others cant would i be right in saying so? one other question would a hdmi lead in any way shape or form cause a dead pixel on a lcd screen as i have quite a few screens that have dead pixels that are needing to be replaced all the time :(

MarkTaylor

I suggest that anyone following this thread should go and read the sticky post at the top of this forum 'HDMI - Just the facts'.

This will cover most of your questions so far, but in short, the critical length where you need to start being a bit more careful with your HDMI cable is closer to 7.5m, not 'anything under 20m' but even then you don't need to spend a fortune, just make sure you are using a cable built to a good standard with quality components, price is not the main guide to this either.

So, read above then come back with any remaining questions

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom