Could my connections be better ?

quattro

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had my system set up now for a few weeks and I'm curious to know whether any inprovments could be made for no extra cost or slight cost, thne main issue is regarding the Xbox connects as i would like a better PQ if possible.
Connections as they are now are
Jamo DVD conected to PW6 Via Vandamme conponent lead to conponent board on PW6.
Sky+ conected via Scrat to JS RGB/VGA converter via Vandamme vga cable to PW6.
Xbox conected to Quintro Via Xbox standard cable then via Techlink scart cable to scart board on the PW6.
Would i be better conecting both the Sky+ and Xbox to the Quintro and then connecting this to the JS rgb/vga converter then vga to the PW6? would i loose any pic quality do this? also is it wise to upgrade the xbox cable?
Cheers in advance
Quattro

In an ideal world, you'd probably use the hi def kit, but there's not much wrong with connecting sky and x-box to the quintro and then to the VGA converter.

As i read it the hi def kit is conponent and so would need to be connected to conponent board which already is being used by the DVD or am i missing something ?

In this ideal world, you'd be switching 2 or 3 component sources with an AV amp. You are limited by that all in one thing. As they go, though, it's agood one, so it's hard to say 'chuck it out'.

MAW said:
In this ideal world, you'd be switching 2 or 3 component sources with an AV amp. You are limited by that all in one thing. As they go, though, it's agood one, so it's hard to say 'chuck it out'.

Yes you are getting me down ;)

Had a feeling you would say that, think i'll invets in a decent Xbox cable, I take it you can't buy a conponent multi box like the Quintro?

:D Course you can, but it costs more than a av amp! There are other ways too, but you are a bit stuck cos your x-box cable will have 3 phonos on it. VGA switches will switch component, I've used them for this, but you need an x-box to 15 pin lead. Make one I suppose? A VGA switch is £40 or so, just a clicky manual thing. I think more hassle than it's worth mate.

Thought i would see what it was like connecting Sky+ and Xbox to the quintro and then conect this to the JS VGA converter, only to find i can't get a picture from either :confused: thought i would have a read of the quintro manual to see if it was anything obvious but can't find it :blush: any ideas as to why no picture, it does flicker when i select the correct out put on the quintro though :confused:
Quattro

Nothing I can put my finger on. Sounds like maybe the voltage is a bit low on the quintro, maybe the x-box doesn't put it's share in. I have had this before, but thought they'd corrected it with a better power supply

Might be an alternative shame its green though ;) Think I'll buy the official xbox cable and see first. :)

MAW said:

Could i still get an amp and simply use the Jamo as a DVD player and then connect the the existing speakers to the amp giving me these extra 2-3 component connections ? id so which amp to buy?
Quattro

Course you could, you could also use the speaker outputs of the Jamo to power another sound zone then, like th kitchen, dining room, whatever. My favourite amps are Onkyo and Yamaha currently. Denon have got hard to buy, therefore slightly higher priced in relation, and so many features they've become a wee bit fiddly. An Onkyo 602 has video upconversion and all the features you'd need, and stonking build quality. Or the Yam 750.

Maw where can i get prices on these and where to buy from, as i can't find much info on them? although have found specs and an added bonus the remote is programable so could kill two birds with one stone ;)
Is it always like this, buying more and more kit, beginning to wish i hadn't started this slippery slope of AV life :D
cheers for all your help
Quattro

Email me, I'm an Onkyo dealer, can do Yamaha as well though it's tough to compete with Richers there. Just don't know how they do it, it's not just volume as they have no UK hi fi accounts at all AFAIK, they can get no volume kickbacks (how AV sales do it)

Mail sent

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom