Could Mass Effect 1/2 be coming to PS3?

Robothamster

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest titles to hit the Xbox 360, Mass Effect, may see its sequels on the PlayStation 3. With Electronic Art's purchase of BioWare, the developer of Mass Effect, and EA's history of not limiting itself to one platform, it's kind of a no-brainer. Especially once you throw in a poor economy where every sale counts.

According to the Web site OnAxis, Michael Pachter, Managing Director of Entertainment Software and Retail Research at Wedbush Morgan Securities, said he believes that Mass Effect will not remain an Xbox 360 exclusive.
Speaking with a panel of others on Gametrailer's show Bonus Round, Pachter commented, "Trust me, Electronic Arts, when they threw out the number 300 million...that is multiplatform, that is not 360 only." And when asked if Mass Effect 2 will come to the PS3, he said, "It has to, has to. And you know, I wouldn't be shocked if Mass Effect 1 came to PS3."

An EA rep responded saying, "The rumor regarding Mass Effect being developed for PS3 is inaccurate," which isn't exactly a denial.

Sounds interesting...

OMG! OMG! Please let it be!

It's nothing new to be honest as rumours of Mass Effect coming to the PS3 have been floating around ever since EA bought Bioware. Having said that no one knows what Microsoft's deal was with Bioware and it's possible if it was originally exclusive to the 360 and PC this may take precedence regardless of EA's ownership of them.

I too really hope that Mass Effect comes to PS3. Like Bioshock it starts as 360 exclusive as Microsoft maybe paid a little money plus the PS3 instal base was small at the time but now it's worth doing a PS3 port.

I'd like to see some more of the 360 exclusives move multi platform.

I reckon a PS3 Version of Mass Effect will be announced at E3 for a christmas release. Plus a PS3 port should look better because the 360 version suffered from bad pop up because of DVD and the lack of a HDD as standard

Bad pop up and slight pauses as you went between sections in a level but all that was acceptable for a game that was the best Xbox 360 game I played.

Can't see the original coming to the PS3, but it sounds like the sequels could be. Lets hope so...

I hated KOTOR and the little I played of ME on the PC wasn't exactly awe inspiring (bar the amazing soundtrack)... want this on PS3 so I can properly assess it before I write it off as something I'm just not compatible with.

ME 1 was a solid entry for that type of game, but it wont win converts, and it had issues as well as greatness.

I played thru 2 or 3 times(?) and loved it with equal parts of frustration of certain design choices, so news of a PS3 release is good as i've shifted the majority of my gaming to teh PS3.

Shacknews are reporting that Mass Effect 2 is likely to come to the PS3 in Q1 2010.

Shacknews said:
Ricitiello seemed to confirm a multi-platform release for Mass Effect 2, suggesting that it will hit both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 at launch.

A bit of an odd move if true, especially by missing out #1 altogether. Still good news for PS3 owners.

I agree, i would have expected a Bioshock like Port to PS3 in order to cash in over the christmas period just before releasing Mass Effect 2.

I agree, i would have expected a Bioshock like Port to PS3 in order to cash in over the christmas period just before releasing Mass Effect 2.

That cannot happen I believe as Microsoft own the publishing rights for the original Mass Effect and the only reason it was released on PC was they leased the rights to EA for only that format. I'm not saying Mass Effect 2 couldn't come to PS3 as Microsoft don't own the IP but the original will remain a 360 exclusive regardless.

The only way I can see EA getting rights for the original is if they somehow managed to negotiate a timed exclusivity for the sequels on 360, something like 6 months for example.

Shacknews are reporting that Mass Effect 2 is likely to come to the PS3 in Q1 2010.

A bit of an odd move if true, especially by missing out #1 altogether. Still good news for PS3 owners.

Already a thread on the game. Please try and do a search. Merging threads.

Already a thread on the game. Please try and do a search. Merging threads.
I did, there were no threads for Mass Effect 2. This is now misleading as it suggests the first game may be coming to the platform. Hence why I said in my post, "A bit of an odd move if true, especially by missing out #1 altogether.".

That cannot happen I believe as Microsoft own the publishing rights for the original Mass Effect ... I'm not saying Mass Effect 2 couldn't come to PS3 as Microsoft don't own the IP but the original will remain a 360 exclusive regardless.
Pretty much what i've heard; no/little chance of Mass Effect (1) coming to the PS3, very likely Mass Effect 2 will be multiplatform since the EA buyout.

+1 vote for splitting threads, as this is misleading for people :lesson:

ive edited the thread title, so no need for seperate topics, on something that is a rumour at the moment.

I did, there were no threads for Mass Effect 2. This is now misleading as it suggests the first game may be coming to the platform. Hence why I said in my post, "A bit of an odd move if true, especially by missing out #1 altogether.".

Sorry. The point i was trying to make which I didn't make clear is that we don't know if Mass Effect is definitely coming to the PS3 whether it be the original or number 2 so there is no point in multiple threads right now. It's all rumour and speculation. Thanks to Rotten Fox for clearing that up and editing the title.

If Surprised about that. With EA now involved i was expecting a release on every console including the N64.

Maybe M$ threw some money their way again after loosing a few of their exclusives?

If Surprised about that. With EA now involved i was expecting a release on every console including the N64.

Maybe M$ threw some money their way again after loosing a few of their exclusives?

Or maybe MS had an exclusive deal with Bioware before it was bought out by EA. If that is the case then being bought by EA would make no difference as
Bioware would be obliged to honour the deal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom