Could I get a projector for £500?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tom_nieto, May 10, 2004.

1. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Being realistic here, could I get a decent projector for £500. I'm thinking that it'd be much easier to move about than a TV, and would provide a fantastic HC experience. At this price range second hand is probably the only way to go. I would really like a DVI input, but I suppose VGA wouldn't be too shabby either, as I could still pixel map the output to the projector. What are my likely options, do you think something like a Panasonic PTAE300 could be had at that price. Bearing in mind I'd also hae to sort out a screen which might not be so easy.

Thanks for reading

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, I've had a good browse, and it seems that a panasonic '200 or '300 would fit my bill nicely. A couple of questions: would the digital input on the '300 be worth it considering I couldn't properly pixel map it, and would the analogue input on the '200 be noticeably worse? I know they're both very highly rated projectors, I'm just not sure if I could justify paying the extra for the '300.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If £500 is your budget, an AE200 1:1 pixel matched from a pc will rock your world........ the AE300 doesn't do 1:1 matching and I don't think that DVI is such an issue at the entry level.

Sean G.

4. durden-soap

durden-soap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ebay but beware of being ripped off.

5. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It does sound cool, although I've got to figure out how to set it up so I can still use my existing computer monitor at the same time. The nVidia drivers are really confusing me :(

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's your own business, butthe ebay warning is worth heeding - if you lurk around the "for sale" forum one will turn up at your desired price before long.................

I know that some nVidia cards are not v. happy doing custom resolutins - but don't ask me which ones - a seach on the hcpc side will unearth some further info. You could source a fairly standard Radeon with dual monitor capability - will do a fine job for a projector too......

Sean G.

7. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I queried the video card on another forum and I came up with an absolutely ideal card: The AIW radeon 9600 pro. Not only does it have a TV and FM tuner, but also dual monitor capability (something that other AIW cards don't have). If I can get the money together this should be a sweet little setup. I'm also going to look round a new house today so I'll try to blag a room that would suit the projector's needs. I'm not sure the landlady would appreciate a roof mount really.

Oh, and I intend not to buy off ebay if I really can. I think they can be had for £650 new anyway, although the extra £150 could be spent on a video card. I shall have to see when the time comes.