1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

could I do away with my Amp?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dapex, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just a quick question, when I build my HCPC it will replace my dvd recorder from under the TV, that will only leave my sky+ and my amp. Would it be possible to replace the amp aswell and have my 5 speakers and sub fed directly from the PC using a decent sound card? The amp only gets used when we wtach a film on the PJ or for music anyway and will no longer do any form of video switching and will only have the one output (optical) from the HCPC. If posible i would get spidf in so the xbox optical could be fed into the HCPC as well.

I have no idea if it is possible or not, but the thought of getting rid of yet another heat producing box from under the TV sounds great.

Cheers

Dave

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've not come across any decent quality power-amps in PCs and certainly not 5.1 systems, and if you think about it you're bound to get heat generated from whatever amp you use so if it's not in a separate box it'd be inside your PC.

I wouldn't profess any knowledge but I'm not sure I'd see any advantage of using the PC for amplification even if such a system exists.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As Kragorn has said,there are no decent quality power amps inside PC's,and whilst it is easy to get a very good quality sound card,with the power to drive a pair of headphones directly,the power required to run a set of speakers(even very efficient ones),will be vastly greater than this.

The bootm line is that you will still require an amplifier.

4. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It is possible to make a HTPC a processor/pre-amp, but not an actual amp.

One solution maybe a decent sound card and self powered sub and sat solution.

5. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at the Logitech Z5500. 5.1 without amp and even THX certified. You'll also find that Creative do a couple of similar products.