Could i damage my speakers?

S

stevie_mc

Being extremely disappointed with the stereo performance of my yamaha rvx440 av amp i invested in a dedicated stereo amp but because there are no pre-outs on the yammie i cant link the two amps together so that i could use the fronts for both multichannel and stereo sound.

Changin the yamaha wasnt an option so the only other alternative (that i could think of) was to hook the fronts up to both amps, wiring one set of terminals to the stereo amp and the other set of terminals to the av amp, and also keeping the metal plate that connects the two terminals. I've been assured by someone from RS that as long as i dont turn the two amps on at the same time there shouldnt be a problem and there doesnt seem to be any comprimise in terms of sound but i was just wondering if anyone else has their own opinions on this

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I really wouldn't recommend this at all. There is the possibility of feedback going from one amp to the other whether switched off or not and as such this will result in you damaging one or both amps. Your best option is to get a speaker switching box which would allow you to switch between the different amps safely.

Considering that Richer Sounds were the ones that sold you the integrated amp after you told them exactly what you wanted to do and with which AV Receiver.They should have known or even asked if it had preouts before selling anything to you. Would you now trust them for further advice?

Speak to your local 'reputable' dealer about speaker switching boxes or ather alternatives. Richer Sounds are great box shifters and offer genuinely scarily low prices on some products when they have them in stock, but they tend not to be the most knowledgable staff in Hi-Fi retail although as with any shop there can be exceptions. This is in no way meant to be a generalisation about Richer Sounds level of customer service just a personal opinion and no more.

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Ask the electronics repairman at any audio/TV shop whether your idea is safe.

My feeling is that a high violtage potential exists between the two speaker leads coming from each amp. Since you simply cannot gurantee that both amps won't be switched on at the same time I would suspect damage to either amp the most likely result.

I got a hell of shock when I was connecting one amp beside another with two seperate sets of speakers when I accidentally touched the other speaker terminals with my hand.

So ask an expert first before doing anything like this.

Nimby

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom