• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Could HD-E1 ever output 48hz?

henry1234

Did'nt research the whole 60hz thing and just assumed it would output at 48hz with a firmware update - isn't this just a simple solution?

Bought an HD-E1 from overclockers.

Great price, great SD player.

I enjoyed being able to watch HD-DVD and liked the picture quality improvement (much more than just higher resolution).

My pet hate was the 3:2 pulldown stuff on region 1 which was eliminated in the past using a HTPC with Theatertek and some other stuff.

At the moment on balance I can get more involved in a SD disc with smooth playback and muddy PQ than the crystal PQ of HD-DVD with stutter.

J

jackal

The HD-E1 wil not by all accounts receive any firmware updates to allow any form of 1080p output whether 60 or 24.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Did'nt research the whole 60hz thing and just assumed it would output at 48hz with a firmware update - isn't this just a simple solution?

Bought an HD-E1 from overclockers.

Great price, great SD player.

I enjoyed being able to watch HD-DVD and liked the picture quality improvement (much more than just higher resolution).

My pet hate was the 3:2 pulldown stuff on region 1 which was eliminated in the past using a HTPC with Theatertek and some other stuff.

At the moment on balance I can get more involved in a SD disc with smooth playback and muddy PQ than the crystal PQ of HD-DVD with stutter.

I agree with Jackal that the entry level players are unlikely to recieve 1080p capability at any freq. The other issue is 48hz display support is relatively uncommon so limited demand and is not offered by any CE player as far as I know. It is possible to achieve what you want via a video processor that will convert 1080i/60 to 1080p/24PsF(1080p/48).

AVI

henry1234

What I wanted was 480p @48hz or 720p @48hz or 1080i @48hz (72hz would be o.k as well)

Is 1080p/24fps actually output at 24hz or is it output at 48hz?

I can't afford a processor to do 1080i/60 > 1080p/48.
In fact a cheaper solution would be to just buy the HD-EX1 and wait for the firmware update.

Would the HD-EX1 output 480p and 720p at 48hz after the firmware or is it just 1080p that will have the 48hz frequency?

Avi

Distinguished Member
What I wanted was 480p @48hz or 720p @48hz or 1080i @48hz (72hz would be o.k as well)

Is 1080p/24fps actually output at 24hz or is it output at 48hz?

I can't afford a processor to do 1080i/60 > 1080p/48.
In fact a cheaper solution would be to just buy the HD-EX1 and wait for the firmware update.

Would the HD-EX1 output 480p and 720p at 48hz after the firmware or is it just 1080p that will have the 48hz frequency?

1080p/24 is output at 24hz or 23.98hz. 1080p/24PsF (progressive split frame) is another signal type and should not be confused with frames per second.

The Tosh will only support 1080p/24 i.e. not 48hz following the fw update.

AVI

henry1234

Thanks,

I doubt my display will accept that funny Psf or a refrersh as low as 23.98hz.

In that case, if the HD-EX1 will not support 48hz after the firmware then it is no more use to me at the moment than the HD-E1.

Does anyone think at any furtue point Toshiba will add a 48hz refresh rate to the 480p, 720p or 1080i resolutions?

Isn't this the simple solution to the jutter problem with HD-DVD @60hz or am I missing something fundamental?

Avi

Distinguished Member
Thanks,

I doubt my display will accept that funny Psf or a refrersh as low as 23.98hz.

In that case, if the HD-EX1 will not support 48hz after the firmware then it is no more use to me at the moment than the HD-E1.

Does anyone think at any furtue point Toshiba will add a 48hz refresh rate to the 480p, 720p or 1080i resolutions?

Isn't this the simple solution to the jutter problem with HD-DVD @60hz or am I missing something fundamental?

Out of interest why would 48hz be a simpler solution than 24hz ?

Very few displays support 48hz and no CE DVD or HD disc player to my knowlegde supports it as at output option. It's also not part of the DVD, HD DVD or Blu-ray spec so there is no requirment for manufacturers to support it.

BTW what model is your display ?

AVI

henry1234

Agreed,

On further examination I must be one of the few people in the world that would benenift from a 48hz output via component and I only need that for about 6 more months.

I am using an old Panasonci PWD4 which is only has a resolution of 852x480. (don't laugh, the picture from an HD-DVD outputing 480p is suprisingly good compared to SD, even my wife was impressed)

It is a stop gap until I finally move house (has taken 6months so far) and re-install a projection system for DVD viewing.

At the moment I rent DVD's and the HD-DVD list has been growing so I thought I'd dabble in a HD-DVD player.

I only need 480p output via component but for some reason my HD-E1 does output 720p and 1080i via component as well on the two HD-DVD's I have rented so far - Blood Diamond and Hot Fuzz (I assumed it was not supposed to output anything above 480p for HD-DVD via component)

The display will accept and display 48hz via VGA, so I'd buy a component>VGA cable. Not sure if it accepts and displays 48hz via component but I'd try that first.

henry1234

on checking the display does accept 24p and 24SF

so agreed that would be even simplier than implementing 48hz to the 480p, 720p or 1080i output.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Agreed,

I only need 480p output via component but for some reason my HD-E1 does output 720p and 1080i via component as well on the two HD-DVD's I have rented so far - Blood Diamond and Hot Fuzz (I assumed it was not supposed to output anything above 480p for HD-DVD via component)

As far as I know all Tosh HD DVD players allow 720 and 1080 via component for HD DVD playback. IIRC it's upscaled SD DVD playback that is limited to 480p/576p unless you use HDMI. :)

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom