Could cordcutting grow here in UK as much as USA

D

Deleted member 765458

In America it seems more and more are cord cutting tied in subscription services.

Over 600,000 Cable Subscribers Canceled or Downgraded in October
by Luke on November 1, 2016 in News
- See more at: Over 600,000 Cable Subscribers Canceled or Downgraded in October - Cord Cutters News

Last year from UK

Are you wasting hundreds on your TV package?
  • 11:30, 13 JAN 2015
  • UPDATED 11:21, 15 APR 2015
  • BY JAMES ANDREWS
Did you know you can save hundreds a year and still get Sky Sports and Atlantic?

Will we in UK see the big subscription services start shrinking or will sport keep people on the services?

Already happened a few years ago in our household, cancelled Sky and moved to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video,Now Tv and Eurosport Player. Way more choice and money saving to boot.

I think that the revolution is already underway. Sky recognise this by way of their limited NowTV offering. I use a combination of Freeview/Freesat and AmazonTV, with Netflix on my list to look at. The limiting factor here in the UK is I suspect the generally rubbish broadband infrastructure that we have, in terms of poor connectivity, pricing and usage caps. Overall costs I think will stay much the same -- what you don't pay for by way of services, be it Sky or Virgin, you still get stung for a decent broadband service, assuming that that's possible.

One way round the streaming issue on slow broadband links is for the likes of Amazon and Netflix to properly support offline playback. For example, I can download content from Amazon to my tablet, but not to a device connected to my TV? Furthermore, if I've purchased content from Amazon, why can't I keep a copy locally? I'd much prefer to have my box download stuff overnight than stream it live. There's nothing worse than having a broadband glitch whilst watching something!

Clem

Last edited:
Here is a news artical about UK, released today.
SVoD impacting on Brits’ viewing habits
November 3, 2016
More than a quarter of British consumers (13.9 million or 27 per cent of the adult population) subscribe to video streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Video, according to research published by YouGov and subscription commerce, billing and finance solutions provider Zuora.

SVoD impacting on Brits’ viewing habits |

I’ve looked at it often but virgin broadband only prices are barely any different than having TiVo so I keep it for convenience of pausing and recording tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom