1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

could be pretty sweet

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by jelly, Aug 18, 2004.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  2. Geezer4

Geezer4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had hear nothing about this film until I caught the trailer on IMDB.

Being a 'real' horror fan (not including some of the rubbish made these days), I'm a little worried that they are adding to what I think is a fantastic stand alone film. However, the trailer seems to be promising so I think I'll give it a go. Fingers crossed! :)

3. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to see it Friday.

4. ironman

ironman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised no-one has brought this up but there is to be two versions of this film - as in completely different versions. Originally Paul Shrader was directing with a budget of $55 mil, to cut a long story short the guy that owns Morgan Creek Productions disliked his version of the final cut and decided to hire Renny Harlin, as well as forking out an extra $80 million to re-film the whole thing (although keeping Stellan Skarsgård as Father Merrin). The main reason being that there was, "footage without any of the bloody violence the backers had wanted", this was because Shrader wanted to make more of a physchological drama centering around Father Merrin and how he came to be an exorcist in the first place. Luckily (amazing more like), Morgan Creek have decided to release both of these versions on DVD but only the Harlin version in cinemas. I personally can't wait to get ahold of both versions of the film and compare the two.

Found this interesting article - http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/38/features-foundas.php

After completing the interviews for this article, Peter Blatty said that Schrader had sent him a copy of his version of Exorcist: The Beginning and that, in spite of his initial reservations, he found it to be “wonderfully acted and directed,” “elegant” and “a class act.” In fact, he liked it so much he watched it twice."

What does everyone else think of this :confused: ?.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Wow - probably a first!

But given the revenue generated by DVD sales, probably an astute marketing ploy as well. If people love the cinema release they'll be curious about the Schrader version.

If they hate the cinema release then they'll still be curious to see whether the Schrader version is better.

Given the track records of both directors (not to mention Schrader's as a screenwriter) my money is on the Schrader version. But hey - at least we get to make our minds up!

:smashin:

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Incidentally, if you haven't seen it, Blatty's "Exorcist III" is worth a look.

This is the author's official sequel to "The Exorcist" - forget "Exorcist II: The Heretic" (as if I need to encourage you to!).

7. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0