Could AVForums Do a HDMI Cable Test ?

Buckster

Distinguished Member
using their new Klein colorimeter ?

couldn't test for sharpness as that would be subjective

but could provide finally once and for all a proper quantative comparison of HDMI cables across different brands:

• colour quality (against reference)
    contrast
    black levels

especially colour as whichever was nearest to what it should be would be the best ?

I'd love to know the results, as all tests I read are purely subjective - and to be honest I don't know who to believe

cheers, Buckster

Avi

Distinguished Member
using their new Klein colorimeter ?

couldn't test for sharpness as that would be subjective

but could provide finally once and for all a proper quantative comparison of HDMI cables across different brands:

• colour quality (against reference)
    contrast
    black levels

especially colour as whichever was nearest to what it should be would be the best ?

I'd love to know the results, as all tests I read are purely subjective - and to be honest I don't know who to believe

cheers, Buckster

I've done similar with different HDMI cables but using a certified i1pro and Calman. The i1pro maybe isn't as sensitive as the Klien but it is more sensitive to colour than the human eye. Within the tolerance of the device and repeatability there was no difference (beyond expected tolerance) in the key image measures i.e. primary/secondary colour, grayscale, white point etc between properly working cables.

BTW colour performance will depend on the display chain calibration and based on an accurately calibrated system I haven't observed any difference in the measured result by changing HDMI cable (provided it works properly). If the display chain isn't calibrated properly i.e colour is inaccurate no HDMI cable will correct this. Similarly no HDMI cable makes black "blacker" or white "brighter" etc.

The only affect the HDMI cable can have on "data" is negative due to attenuation, fault etc and this has a very noticeable impact. The HDMI cable has no way to consistently change data to affect specific image characteristics especially when some of this data may be in a compressed form i.e. subsampled colour.

AVI

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
That, despitesome wishful thinking,is not a measure.
At least not of a HDMI cable.
As HDMI is a digital link there is test equipment available called a Bit Error Rate Tester (BERT) which will show how the digital link is performing, the signal loss and distortion through the cable.
The other thing to measure is the error rate in the delivered signal and there are special HDMI testers which can show this.
Data in - Data out is the criteria and if there are errors how far into the system do they get?
Remeber that if you get errors as far as the display they appear as sparkles or black dots and on audio they will be crackling or pops unless the sytem filters them out.

Avi

Distinguished Member
That, despitesome wishful thinking,is not a measure.
At least not of a HDMI cable.
As HDMI is a digital link there is test equipment available called a Bit Error Rate Tester (BERT) which will show how the digital link is performing, the signal loss and distortion through the cable.
The other thing to measure is the error rate in the delivered signal and there are special HDMI testers which can show this.
Data in - Data out is the criteria and if there are errors how far into the system do they get?
Remeber that if you get errors as far as the display they appear as sparkles or black dots and on audio they will be crackling or pops unless the sytem filters them out.

I agree this is a more appropriate test and I think one that has been carried out numerous times with the end result being a properly working cheap HDMI cable performs as well as a properly working expensive HDMI cable. :)

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom