• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Could anyone make it simple?

m1964

Established Member

proux

Established Member
Hmm, this looks pretty disappointing to me, unless there is an alternative explanation :confused: ... particularly as the Denon AVR3805 can produce 300W into 2 ohm, and over 100 into 1!!! http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/avtech/index.html

Doesn't his mean that the AVR-300 should only be recommended for full 8 ohm loads? I use the 4 ohm setting at the back, but my Castle compact columns still sound less loud than with my old £200 Sony AVR! :( (speakers are rated at 87 db / 6 ohm, although Hifi world says more like 4.7 and "lumpy" impredance, whatever that means)

Luckily the neighbours wouldn't be happy with much higher volumes so perhaps I am not missing anything, but this seems to be an important minus point that magazines, dealers and Arcam won't tell you (...and does having to work hard into low impedance damage the AVR or speakers in the long term?)

I DO like my AVR300 overall :) , so I hope that someone will tell us that this is all irrelevant inthe real world, and only relevant to engineers and techno-geeks!

KenX

Standard Member
Well, I'm biamping my 4 ohm Linn Espeks with a P1000 and I'm quite happy with the result. However, when my dealer heard they are 4 ohmers, he told me to be "very careful" and he also said that if the P1000 is damaged by this, the warranty might not hold, because the P1000 is not rated for biamping 4 ohmers.
To me this sounded like nonsense and I was quite a bit upset.
It would be interesting to hear and official Arcam opinion about this.

In any case, the sound is fantastic, certainly alot better than when I used a single Linn LK140 for the same speakers. Much more acceleration and punch, and I like this better both for movies and music.

John Dawson

Established Member
This is an old chestut that I have discussed several times before. The unit Paul Miller received was for an "exclusive" review and was thus a pre production AVR300 built a couple of months before the launch date. The power amplifiers' protection locus on these samples was set incorrectly by our manufacturing partner (the design itself was correct - I should know - I did it) and the output stage protection cut in too early. We didn't spot this on Paul's unit - our fault, but previous prototypes were fine so you can see why we missed this. Production units always met the spec.

For comparison you might want to look at September's Home Cinema Choice review of the AVR350 which I received this morning. This uses exactly the same power amplifiers as the 300 (albeit with a slightly better mains transformer) and according to their measurements it delivered 130W x 5 into 8 ohms and 185W x 5 into 4 ohms at clipping. That's 5 channels driven simultaneously - many other receivers can't do this for any length of time before internal thermal limiters come in to play.

Note that these measurements will all have been on the 8 ohms speaker impedance setting - if you do have 4 ohm speakers we strongly recommend using the 4 ohms setting - there's a bit less peak voltage swing which is traded for more peak current availability;this will sound better on real programme material and also allows the receiver to run cooler.

Finally, for those who look mostly at the specifications of products when trying to choose what to buy, the 2 channel "fidelity firewall" rating of the AVR350 was 150W as measured by HCC. This is intended to indicate how well an amplifier drives loudspeakers. I was intrigued to note that this was only a whisker short of another brand's awesome (and excellent) flagship receiver reviewed elsewhere in the magazine and which retails for nearly three times as much as the AVR350 and is specified as 170W x 7. I am not sure that any of this is actually meaningful to anyone except those that live by the numbers - nothing here tells you exactly how the units will sound at normal listening levels of a few watts per channel and with all the rest of the unit's innards running! So please read all reviews with care :)

John Dawson (Arcam)

proux

Established Member
Reassuring and incredibly prompt reply, thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Just to reiterate that this sort of Arcam input was one of the reasons why I stretched my budget and went for Arcam.

chrisor

Standard Member
Re: John Dawsons reply: I love real information - Many Thanks, Chris

m1964

Established Member
The unit Paul Miller received was for an "exclusive" review and was thus a pre production AVR300 built a couple of months before the launch date. The power amplifiers' protection locus on these samples was set incorrectly by our manufacturing partner (the design itself was correct - I should know - I did it) and the output stage protection cut in too early.

John, thank you for your explanation -maybe Arcam should have given another AVR to the testing lab after identifying the problem, so Arcam owners like me would not get disappointed looking at the test results of the unit which was not calibrated properly prior to the test.

PS
I did not audition 15-20 AVR as some buyers do. I listened to NAD, Rotel and Arcam, and one of the major features I was looking for was 4-Ohms capability. I knew that I would not have any problems using Arcam w/ my 4-Ohms rated Cantons.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
John Dawson said:
For comparison you might want to look at September's Home Cinema Choice review of the AVR350 which I received this morning. This uses exactly the same power amplifiers as the 300 (albeit with a slightly better mains transformer) and according to their measurements it delivered 130W x 5 into 8 ohms and 185W x 5 into 4 ohms at clipping. That's 5 channels driven simultaneously - many other receivers can't do this for any length of time before internal thermal limiters come in to play.

I will second this recommendation, anyone who has any doubts about the AVR250/300/350's performance should read that Home Cinema Choice review of the AVR350. To quote and summarise from the review:

"Arcam set out to craft simply the best sounding all-round home cinema and music receiver that £1500 will buy - and in that I would say they have acheived an unqualified success"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom