Could any 2405FPW owners test something for me...?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by NicolasB, Mar 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    There are two possible issues which prevent the Dell 2405FPW from being a perfect, small, stand-alone, high def display. One is the lack of HDCP (a great shame, but I don't there's any point in speculating about it). The other potential problem is if it can't accept a 50Hz signal. Could someone who owns a 2405FPW try hooking up (say) a PAL DVD player to its component inputs and see if you get a picture that doesn't look like it's using frame-rate-conversion?

2. moedeeb

moedeeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I hooked up my netgem digital tv box via component (its one of the few boxes to support this I think but obviousley interlaced) - The picture seemed acceptable - what would a converted frame rate look like? - could try my old non progressive toshiba dvd if you want.

The picture from a hippauge dvb card in my pc via DVI does seem much better however.

3. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...ooh, this could be good news! If you deem it acceptable moedeeb, then that'll do for me. Can't be any worse than the Watson TV we currently have.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    Jerky or juddery, probably. Try the effect of playing a PAL DVD in a player set to output only NTSC, and you'll get a similar effect.

5. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....I'm picking one up later - so I'll be able to try both the S-video and the component inputs with a PAL interlaced source.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    Testing with a PAL progressive source via component would be quite interesting too.

7. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...I can test that with either my Xbox or Gamecube - haven't got a component progressive DVD player (I'm a HCPC man myself) but these should do IMO.

S-Video will be via my VHS - not yet got a scart to S-vid lead for my freeview.

8. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well - I've tried a crappy Barney video (don't ask) and I'm extremely pleased with the results. The PS2 via component (interlaced) was good also, except for the fact that the quality of the panel revealed imperfections in the game.

Need to sort out wiring to try other input formats, but one the whole, this looks liek to be a little diamond.

9. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    im wating on my xbox an ps2 component leads.
    [​IMG]

720p image running on the screen :)

10. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...what do you reckon Yaka - have you had chance to give this a good workout. Funnily enough, I tried episode 18 as well. I'm finding that the panel is not forgiving and it looks like I'll need a better HCPC setup to get it running as I would like it. Are you ruinning frrom a HCPC and if so, what software player are you using?

11. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    mediaplayer classic, dvi to screen i didnt chage any of the settings yet and thats the first thing i tried out. it depends on which version you tried. if it was an xvid then it will be pap. dl some .ts files of google for some HD clips/trialers most will prolly contain 720p or 1080i versions of tv shows. like most other lcd tvs, its not going to be the best for off air stuff and low res stuff. but feed it some thing nice and you will be rewared

[​IMG]

SVP i would advise peeps not watch svp on hi deff as you can clrealy see most of the dead bodies on the beec landing scenes are manequins.

iam gona try to coonnect me ntl box with a scart to svhs cable see if itr works if not then most likly i will do it conected thru a tv card

12. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a cheapo two-way scart to S-Vid lead from maplins - didn't work. Want to check it's not the lead - s-vid worked fine frrom my video.

13. moedeeb

moedeeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    In order to watch a svid output from an NTL box you will need some form of conversion device. The basic scart to svid cable expects an svid output from the digibox and as far as know the ntl cant do this.

14. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it working - the s-vid from my freeview. Although I'd set the output to s-vid YC, it was my phillips sender that was casuing the problem. Direct connection from the freeview to the panel sorted it.

I'm extremely pleased to say the least with the image quality - excellent stuff.

15. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    what would be the best device?