1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could a disc kill your xbox ?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by monkeyleader, Jan 18, 2004.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hey all,

Panic stations this morning as it looks like my XBOX is having problems. Bought Links yesterday (which by the way was only 20quid in Game - had a rewards voucher so only 14quid) Stuck it in last nite and the console couldnt read the disc , tried a few times no joy ... So later in the evening gave topspin a go - worked fine, but then half way through the game the XBOX rebooted ... weird - tried again, same deal. So then tried PGR2 - no problems with this over the past 5 weeks ... same deal ... at random points the xbox reboots. Tried Links again this morning and it came up with the un-readable disc error.

So could Links have caused this - will game care and how the heck am I going to sort this out :(

Any help much appreciated.

thanks,

Nigel

2. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If the box is around two years, it may have died. Mine did and many others seem to, based on my net research.

Mine had a red flashing light on the front, which means certain doom apparently.

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    To be honest dude, it sounds like a coincidence. I can't see how a game disc can break a drive unless the disc physically breaks. It seems more likely that your drive packed up before Links went in it, and this was why it couldn't read Links or any other discs.

I suppose it's possible that a bit of crud got on the lens, so a drive cleaning disc *might* help.

Is your XBox old? Even if it's out of warrantee it's worth ringing MS tech support. Some of the old Xboxes had DVD drives that weren't great quality, and MS have been replacing some free of charge. I think they've been a little inconsistent tho - some peeps have had free replacements, and others not :(

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, would suspect a dead drive or dirty lens. Read errors often cause reboots in PC's in my experience. Not sure if you can use a standard drive in an xbox, you would have to search around but I would guess it would be expensive and if I were you I would flog it on Ebay as 'faulty' and get a new one, then sell the bundled games. You'd have a new warranty too.

5. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Cheers for this - I might try a lens cleaner. Bought the XBOX on opening day so out of warrenty - might plead my case with M$ anyhows - cant hurt .. otherwise Im going to replace the CDdrive on this one and chip it - make it a media center, then buy a new XBOX ...

Nige

6. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whether its past the stated warranty or period or not you may still be covered.

An item as described by the trade descriptions act is supposed to last for a reasonable amount of time before generating a fault.

The only problem with this law is that its hard to interpret as to what is a reasonable amount of time. I would certainly say I would expect an XBox to last longer than two years though. So I would get in contact with either Microsoft or really it should be the retailer who sold you it and state this law to them if they are funny with you. I know a number of people who have had success using this ruling.

If no success you could always take it through the small claims caught and the law should be on your side

7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Been posted many times before .... M$ have stated there is a known fault with some of the early xbox drives - they have major problems reading certain games (usually the newer ones)
    Just phone M$ up and they will replace the drive for you free of charge.

8. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    so who to call would be the next step - call the number on the XBOX website and you get 1st line tech support so your probably going to get nothing from this [ive tried and all ive got is sorry sir, your xbox is not in warranty and you need to pay 65quid for a service ].... you say M$ have said its seen problems with drives - do you have a website where they say this or is it just us gamers who have come up with this - makes a difference when taking this further.

Im not going to push this too far as it might not be worth the hassle but am prepared to take it a little further than 1st line calls.

cheers,

Nige

9. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Just to let you know Ive sucummbed and am sending my xbox back to M$ for a fix. They are charging £75 - buggar. Oh well at least it gives me another years warranty.

Nige

10. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sorrry for not posting before - cant remember where i saw the messages about the old xbox's it must of been the xbox forums or xbox scene?
    Did games like crimson skies work on it ok? as that was another game that wouldnt work on the old faulty xbox's.
    Hope M$ sort the problem out - with some luck you could end up with a better dvd rive in it eg a samsung one very handy for playing cdr's:)

11. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There is another way to get another one, but you'll have to PM me.

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :rolleyes:

If it's what I think it is then the word 'fraud' springs to mind:rolleyes:

And you'd be very lucky if it works now that certain retailers are taking actions to prevent the kind of thing I think you're recommending

13. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Isn't it also fraudulent to sell an item to a punter and then have it break within year and a half and insist that they buy another, because it is 'tough luck'.

I would suggest that with 'fit for purpose' being a statutory right in the UK, and that eighteen months would not constitute 'fit for purpose', getting a unit swapped is not fraud.

I worked in electrical retailing for several years and every store purposefully did not inform people of their rights, in order to keep our store profitability up. Everyone knew that if they insisted having phoned head office, we would change it, however.

Also, charging a minimum of £70 to do a repair is crazy - what if it is a dirty lens? They will still charge £70, and not tell you what the problem is - thats got to be fraudulent.

Anyway, I am not recommending a fraudulent approach, I am merely suggesting a theoretical way to get another machine legitimately!