Could a CRT be a better solution than Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by andyjenkins, Mar 13, 2006.

1. andyjenkins

andyjenkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    So for ages I've heard :

a) CRT is the dogs preverbials for Standard Def video - no plasma can touch a CRT in this area
    b) There's no CRT TVs that are HD Ready.
    c) Full HD availability of all channels will not come until 2012.

So at CeBit I was supprised to find Europes first HD ready CRT!!

OK - its only 32 inches at the moment, but hell, its expected to ship to consumers at £350!!! Surely, its only a matter of time before 42"+ comes out, and at what surely would not be at much of a premium over the 32" (£500/600??).

As this TV is not the full depth of a normal CRT (it's described as being "Slim Fit") for those that do not wall mount their plasmas, could this be the preferred way to go?

Surely, if CRT offers a better picture than plasma, and what sounds like 90% of channels will have no HD tranmission - surely plasma could actually take a serious hit.

Alternatively, it could help drive down plasas - so we can all afford those 100" models we've seen this week.

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    The samsung slimfit CRT sets are nothing new - apart from the new availability of an HD version in Europe that is.

The problem is that the slimfit sets have a poor reputation for PQ. Because of the slimfit design they suffer from geometry problems. And they are not high-end sets to start with.

With poor PQ there was no reason to buy a SD version of these sets and few did AFAIK, and I can't see a reason to buy an HD version either.

3. AndrewTheMuppet

AndrewTheMuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I also have a feeling that 42" CRT's even if they are "slimfit", won't be very slim.

Andrew

4. Dom996

Dom996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If you only want a 32" and it will be across a corner and you're not bothered about HD at the moment, then a CRT is possibly the way to go. The picture is great with this perfected technology and prices are low. There's no bias here as I own a plasma.

5. MERC4

MERC4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CRTs are history.
    Joe public want thin TVs to fit on their wall, as they are so called "cool".
    "Image is ALL"
    This is what the manufacturers want you to believe !
    :rotfl:

6. Jet_Set_Jim

Jet_Set_Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I do believe that sometime in the last decade manufacturers were faced with a problem:

"Due to improvements in CRT technology and cheap production, people can buy very decent TVs for under £400. There's only a scant market for deluxe versions because the difference in PQ is so minimal for the cash"

They waved their hi-tech marketing wand, and voila! You can't buy a decent CRT for love nor money, and once again you have to spend a solid four figure sum in order to get a screen that gives a half decent picture. I mena LCD is a joke... plasmas are good - if you're willing to spend two grand or so. Plus a decent DVD player, video processor etc...

As for HD - it's undoubtably a high potential technology, especially with larger screens... but the money is in the masses, and we're now in a situation where a mediocre screen is £800 or so.