couch against wall for surround sound?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bone2006, Feb 13, 2009.

1. bone2006

bone2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been wanting to get some speakers for my livingroom and I'm not sure what type of setup I should get. The problem is that my couch is against the wall and I can probably move it a few inches at the most away from the wall. I'm not sure if I should buy a 5.1 system or look for a 2.1 instead?

I was at a friend's house who had his couch about the same location, but the two back speakers were on stands slightly directed towards the couch and I thought the sound was pretty good.

I was looking at the ONKYO HT-S3100 Black 5.1 Channel Home Theater System

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I have a very similar layout and use a pair of PMC Wafer 2 speakers on the side walls either side of the couch which works very well.

[​IMG]

3. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    I had a very similar set-up in my first place, with the rears on stands, at ear height facing each other across the sofa, it worked fine.

In my current place I've had them up high on the walls and missed the direct effect...and they were uneven distances because of a door way to the side of the sofa. A recent change to tripoles has now helped to improve it again..as the room isn't ideal. so IMHO it's worth a try and don't worry about trying different positions etc before you find a way that suits. :smashin:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  4. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Having the rear speakers at the side is the way you're supposed to have them anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. krull

krull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The problem with this layout (which I have too) is with 7.1 and getting the rear surrounds in which should be behind based on the THX guide:

THX Home Theater 7.1 Speaker System Layout

Suppose the only real way to accomodate these would be in-wall speakers?

6. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    IMO a 5.1 set-up is more than enough for this type of room. :D

7. johnr2110

johnr2110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi swiftpete

I'm no expert.But doesn't that depend on whether you've got your back speakers set up as L & R surround or Rear surround. I would assume that for rear surround you'd want the speakers behind you albeit only a bit.

JohnR

8. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    [-]If it's a 5.1 set-up your rears should be the 'rear surround' the 'side surrounds' are only used in a 7.1 set-up.[/-]

EDIT: Mistake corrected.

The placement of your rear speakers with a 5.1 set-up, either on rear or side walls doesn't alter the receiver output you would use, they would always be set-up as the rear surrounds on your receiver.:smashin:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Sorry BM, but I think you are wrong on that one. whether it is a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channel system the surround channels are alway in the same location which is anywhere from 90 degrees to 110 degrees from the centre channel position.

Here are some links to several respected sites including THX.com that all agree on this:

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/speakers/51.html

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/speakers/71.html

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/s...ome-theater-speaker-layout-an-essential-guide

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/zz-_Shared_Assets/English_PDFs/Consumer/51.pdf

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/zz-_Shared_Assets/English_PDFs/Consumer/71.pdf

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  10. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    I was refering to the amp outputs used.. I may well have it wrong, it's early :D But AFAIK when using a AV reciever with 7.1 capability the rear surrounds are used in a 5.1 set-up for the 'rears' and the side surrounds are the ones used in a 7.1 set-up for the side surrounds..

With a 5.1 they can be set-up on the rear wall or the side walls but they still use the same outputs. They are still what I would call rear surrounds not side surrounds..

Please don't appologise I'm hear to learn as well. :thumbsup:

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I'm afraid you are wrong on that one too. In a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channel configuration the Surround channels on the amp are always used to power the Surround speakers which are the ones positioned 90-110 degrees from front centre. The Surround Back channels on the amp are only ever used for 6.1 and 7.1 channel configurations.

12. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Yes your right... :D

The Rear speakers in a 5.1 set-up are connected to the side surround outputs and in a 7.1 set-up the rears are connected to the rear surround outputs. I was wrong :D should have finished my brew before I logged on ;)

However going back to the original question.

With a 5.1 set-up you always use the same outputs for the rear speakers, - The side surround outputs :D Regardless of if you place your speakers on the side walls level with your ears or on the rear wall ( usually a lot further apart than the rear surrounds on a 7.1 layout).

13. kennyhkw

kennyhkw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Those white sheets look scary! :eek:

Anyway move the couch forward a few inches and locate the speakers just above the listening position and facing each other just like in that photo. Thats the way i have mine setup and it works quite well.

U can experiment with the angle of the speaker to determine exactly what works best. And the speakers should be connected to the 'side surround' of the amp. Make sure the 'back surround' is turned off in the amp menus as u don't have back surround speakers.

14. johnr2110

johnr2110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    LIke I said I'm not an expert , it was just a thought.

If I can get hold of a Kef egg template I might consider moving my rears to the side as I have my sofa against the wall also.

The other option would be I suppose dipole or tripole speakers.

John R