Couch against rear wall 5.1 - what type of speaker?

liamashley

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am aware there are various threads similar to this but it is normally people who have bought speakers and are trying to decide where to place them. I haven't yet bought them so am flexible in the type of speaker and have the option of mounting to rear wall or using standing mount.

I've purchased my LCR speakers (Pioneer BS22 & matching center) but am having real trouble deciding on my surrounds. My couch is against the rear wall in a smallish room with no option to move forward. I don't wish to mount the speakers to the side walls as I have neighbors on either side so will be getting standing mounts to go alongside the couch or could mount on the rear wall. My main question is therefore: Should I be looking at monopole or bipole speakers? And would it be better to mount on the rear wall or have on standing mounts?

I'm worried that the monopoles will be too distracting directly alongside the couch. Would bipoles be better??? 5.1 system

I am aware there are various threads similar to this but it is normally people who have bought speakers and are trying to decide where to place them. I haven't yet bought them so am flexible in the type of speaker and have the option of mounting to rear wall or using standing mount.

I've purchased my LCR speakers (Pioneer BS22 & matching center) but am having real trouble deciding on my surrounds. My couch is against the rear wall in a smallish room with no option to move forward. I don't wish to mount the speakers to the side walls as I have neighbors on either side so will be getting standing mounts to go alongside the couch or could mount on the rear wall. My main question is therefore: Should I be looking at monopole or bipole speakers? And would it be better to mount on the rear wall or have on standing mounts?

I'm worried that the monopoles will be too distracting directly alongside the couch. Would bipoles be better??? 5.1 system

I'd say neither. Tri-poles are fantastic as surround / rear speakers.

Not entirely sure why you can't mount on the walls as your neighbours wont hear any difference from mounting on the wall or on a stand mount in front of the wall.

Remember if your using a sub then you'll be setting the speaker to small which takes away the base so I really don't see it affecting them.

My sofa is always backed to the wall. Here you can see my setup.

If you really are against wall mounting the. Perhaps a stand just in from each corner will get around it.

IMG_1474832701.838167.jpg

Tripoles work fantastic and I'd 100% recommend them.

Another thumbs up for M&K tripoles here. (Xenon 26's - a bit long in the tooth now!)

I have mine on tall (ear height) stands a little to the side of the back of the sofa.

I agree with the comments about neighbours, not bass should = no issue. Correctly setup you no going to have too much power going though the surrounds.

The issue with speaker stands is that getting some that will put the speakers 1-2' above ear level is ugly at best.

For me 7.1 is too many speakers, I have matching mono pole speakers. Mine are mounted 1' above ear level and slighty behind the ear line on the side walls. Works perfectly.

You have supplied no idea of budget?

I also have my seat against the rear wall and have my surrounds mounted to the sides, but slightly in front of the listening position (it was the only option) and around 2 foot above. I have them set to di-pole and it works fine.

I also have surround backs on the rear wall, but really that was a waste of money, most of the time i don't even notice they are on.

I also have couch on the rear wall, I use monitor audio silver fx di-pole, about 2ft above ear height. They work really well

20160424_184554.jpg

Mine are set on the side walls just slightly back from the seating area. Wall fixing should be fine. If you're worried about neighbours then cross them at 120.

Have you had a look at axiom audio surrounds (though you have to import from USA)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom