1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cotsshf

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by FunkyMonkey, Jan 17, 2003.

1. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Any children of the super super heavy funk out there? I mean, does ANYBODY out there appreciate James Brown beyond the typical hits which don't do his more creative music justice?

I'm talking classics, like Funky Drummer for example.

2. Ricardo

Ricardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a great fan of James Brown I have to admit. I consider Otis Redding to be the true "Godfather of Soul" but when it comes to funk, Bootsy Collins and Parliament are the guys for me!!

3. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I believe Bootsy Collins and some Parliamentarians (?) started out as band members, or even band leader(s), of the James Brown.

I prefer the raw and more spontaneous feel of the Funkmeister. I think it had more soul.

Talking of which, Otis Redding - he's the Daddy of soul, JB was the Godfather.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can I get a little James Brown? I said... can I get a little James Brown?! Owwww!

I must admit I only have a greatest hits type thing but I love the freestyle funk stuff.

5. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Funky drummer is a phat tune.
    Loadsa Hip Hop tunes were made off that, and loads of hardcore / Drum & Bass were spawned from that drum loop.
    Mind you, J.Brown's back catalogue has been mullered by all the Hip Hop producers over the Years....

Maddest tune of that ilk is Fred Wesley's 'Blow Your head'

Mental

Spligsey

6. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Ahhh, Fred Wesley and the JB's.
    The Funky People CD trilogy is great, especially the one with "Givin' up food for funk" on it.

All hail Fred Wesley and Maceo Parker.

It's not just hip hop that exists thanks to JB et al, it's also Prince, Michael Jackson, Jamiroquai (more George Clinton I guess), Stone Roses, and anybody else that have funky bass lines. I guess, music journos coudl be more thorough, but I dig the music no matter what it influenced. Just giving it its due, that's all.