Costs Of Ownership - High Mileage User.

Discussion in 'EV Electric Cars Forum' started by PRESSTOG, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Well I have sold my i3 (Sticking with just the Zoe for now) waiting to see what next year brings.

Thought some may be interested in the costs of owning the i3.

I purchased it as an ExDemo 6 month old car from BMW Leeds for £21k with less than 1k miles on the clock

I have run it for 15 months and added 41k miles.

I sold it privately on an EV Forum sales section for £17.5k

So over 15 months it cost me £3500 in depreciation
    (No Other costs as it came with service included) excluding insurance of course.

Breaking down as an ownership cost of £233 a month

I think a £3.5k loss for 41k miles added and 15 months of use is very very good on any car (Let Alone a BMW EV)

In that time in my old Volvo V40 It would have cost me £5487 in Fuel and Servicing for 41k miles

In The i3 I Spent £189.62 on Public Charging
    £392.45 on Home Charging
    £146.88 on Petrol for the REX

TOTAL COST = £728.95

So A Saving of £4758.05 on what I would have paid in the V40

If you also take into account the saving of £11.50 a day in congestion charge 3 days a week, and £40 in London Parking Charges 3 days a week it starts to get eyewatering. (Have not included those costs in the total as most people wont be in central London multiple days a week so those are very personal savings)

Then if you take into account the work miles paid back at 45p a mile. coming in at just over 35000 work miles then the car banked a very healthy profit..

FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE I3

Would I Buy another, Yes in a heartbeat but only with a battery increase, my 19kw one was way too small and the newer 28kw one is still not good enough, its the sort of car that needs a 200 mile range and then it will be spot on, Its fun to drive, wears really well, and has been as solid as a rock for me.

As before I would not buy new, but look for a 6 month exdemo at model change as the prices were good. I would not lease (Not viable with my mileage).

Happy to live with the little Donkey Zoe ZE40 and its 200 mile range now till 2019 and see where we are going then, unless the Chevy Bolt 60kw makes a surprise appearance over here, I would be all over that like a fat kid on candyfloss.

2. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Great post, thanks.:thumbsup:

Just out of interest, do you know what the original purchase price of the car was?

3. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I think the BMW list price was about £40500 before the OLEV Grant of £4500 and any dealer discounts that would have been applied. I bought mine just as the 94ahs were being pushed so the exdemo 60s had a fairly heavy discount on them shift them.

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Yikes, so from £36k to £17.5k in 21 months. £833 a month in depreciation. I guess that the price you (or in this case BMW pays) for being an early adopter.

5. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    DB2F6B71-01F4-4BD4-A1AE-339A77C6BB3A.png

That’s why I normally never buy brand new always been the same way let the dealer or whoever has it for the first 6 months swallow the initial 40-50% depreciation

Also don’t think the depreciation is much worse than any similar priced ice doing those sort of miles (the EV benefit of course being the depreciation is absorbed by the lack of fuel/service costs)

The 3 series lost as much over same time period with less miles

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017