cost's go sky high!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chaz, Nov 19, 2003.

1. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    for a couple of years now i've had sky downstairs in my living room through 1 dish and my son upstairs through a second dish.i decided i'd like sky in my bedroom and my other son wants it in his. i've decided to get sky+, through my dealer not those sky muppets!
    my dealer informed me that for four boxes i'd need to order two mirror cards. sky said this wasn't possible and that i would have to sign a second contract and pay the full £36 per month as well as the other box's tariff. this is on top of £78 to install a second telephone line!cos the boxes require a phone line inputted:mad:
    almost £100 just in subscriptions!!!!!!!
    i'm no longer surprised that people are forgetting sky and switching over to freeview instead!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :nono: :nono: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well if you all live in a single household then I would have one primary subscription and three mirror cards.
    Putting aside the purchase price of the hardware/installation required for SKY+ and another digibox then in subscriptions alone would be £38 (SKYworld with free SKY+ sub) and then £30 for the three mirror subs.
    As you say with the phone requirment that would mean four connections which would max out a standard phone line but hey if you are even considering 4 digi boxes and subscriptions in a single house then money probably wouldn't be an issue:)

Perhaps it would make more sense just to use TVlinks to run the digibox feeds to other rooms unless you expect all the digiboxes to be be in use on a regular basis.

People aren't forgetting SKY, subscriber numbers are still increasing and quite frankly if the Freeview lineup is all you want/need then even a fiver spent on SKY is a waste of money let alone the cost of a full subscription.
    I looked at the options and chose to use SKY D (sub) as my main digital source TVlinked to another telly and both SKY FTV and Freeview to feed other TV's directly. I consider these systems to be complimentary and provide the whole family with digital TV at a reasonable inital cost and on going cost.

3. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    beside the primary subscription on the unit down stairs sky have informed us that we can have 1 normal and 2 mirror cards only my son has one of those mirror cards on his sat system in his room upstairs so when we have the sky + fitted next week that leaves only one mirror card so my son or me will have to pay the full monty as my wife and me and the boys wacth conpletey diffrent programes the t v links wont be much good either but thanks for the help any way:(

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    On the plus side, you dont need a second line just to plug the sky into. Extensions off your existing line will work fine.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    My in-laws pay over £70 a month and have almost every channel, and there are 999 channels (or thereabouts) and they watch a maximum of 10-15.

I'd go with freeview mate or Telewest.

6. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A $ky digi-box use's 0.3 of a REN, and a normal socket can take 4 REN, so you shouldn't need a 2nd line installed just for $ky, if you are at your REN limit, you can get a REN booster.

Personally, I'm cancelling $ky in Jan, £55 per month (£660 per year) for cheap and nasty reality and game shows, and endless repeats of repeats is way too much - Sky has really gone downhill in the last couple of years while subsciption rises are extorniate (Summer 2000 the basic package was £12pm, from Jan it's £20 - so a 60% rise in 3.5 years) and IMO the mirror sub is a complete rip-off - it's like the BBC charging a second licence fee if you want to have BBC 1 & 2 on different TV's at the same time.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    2 Pace Twins a year:eek:

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm bailing on my sub in December.

I'll stick with the free-to-air channels and just spend the sub money on DVDs. (no ads, no red dot, no squashed credits, no announcing over shows, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc)

9. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    shaunIOW thanks for that about the ren booster i will give that a try because my telphone line has the max phones on it so anthing to keep the cost down helps i conpletely agree with you on what you say about the costs when i talked to someone at sky about that they said its not them but the pepole who supply and make the programes that make them put the costs up erm i dont think so! i know i am ranting on a bit and i know you lot out there say go for Freeview which i have all ready tried kept on blocking + my sons want to wach premmier football so it has to be sky but at least i have had a good moan the monny i am going to have to pay them .:mad: :mad: :mad: :thumbsdow :nono: :(

10. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I never had my Sky plugged into the phone! Why bother - unless you're using interactive content.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

New customers who have a subsidised install agree to have a 12month phone connection, however SKY are very lax on checking compliance so there is no real problem whne not meeting your contractual obligations.
    However the Mirror subscription requires that both digiboxes are connected to the same phone line and SKY do enforce that requirment. If a user doesn't comply then they get warning letters/phone calls and are eventually billed full price for the second sub for the remainder of the minimum term unless the customer is in a position to cancel the sub accord to the agreement.

12. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I sacked sky nearly two years ago and decided to buy three to four DVD's a month in stead, I now have over a 150 DVD's and am never short of a big movie for saturday night.

cheers Dave.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Don't you ever look at the shelf and think repeats, repeats and more repeats:)

14. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    shaunIOW could you tell me where you get these ren bosters from please

15. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't say exactly where, my local BT shop had them a while ago, as did another phoneshop, you could try Maplins too.

16. neilwillis

neilwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been said, I didn’t read all of the post, but a cheaper way is to buy second-hand digi boxes from eBay or your local paper and phone sky and say I have a digi box, here is the serial number of the box and i need a card for it..

I did this about a year ago for my dad and they said no problem at all and in a few days a card came through the door.

Just a thought - - gets round the expensive costs for a new box from sky

Cheers

Neil

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's probably a bigger film library than Sky Movies. :p