Costco Sale! Panasonic TH46PZ80

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by astro, Feb 2, 2009.

1. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Queued up today at the Glasgow store - got there about 8am (didn't open till 10am) Was about 9.30 when the first people moved out of the cars, and trudged across the snow to wait by the doors, and when the doors finally opened must have been about 25-30 waiting! Initially a very calm trot to where the bargain sat (well done that chap at the front;) ), but could hear a bit of a scramble behind us and when we got there, it was a frenzied attack to pull the boxes off the shelves!!!:D

Anyways, got mine and the panny blu-ray player both for about £936, plus the costco 5 year warranty i think:clap:

By the time i got through checkout they were all gone!:eek:

Enjoyed the chat with the few people at the front - all AV forum geeks like myself!!!

oh happy days!:clap:

2. nburcombe

nburcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Going to get mine in 40 mins from the Liverpool branch!!! :) Can't wait - flogged my KDL-46X3000 for a grand, so a better tv with 5 year warranty and £200 in my back pocket. Loving it!

3. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i just hope you get one mate, as they ended up having 21 in stock in Glasgow and within 15 minutes they were all gone!:eek:

4. Mevlock

Mevlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Heh don't want the tv, trying to get the 50" model instead but I'm hoping to pick up the player in about 40mins from Costco hope that hasn't sold out.

5. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    they had loads of the players there when i was in.

6. oj0

oj0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Any updates from the Reading store?? Have to wait until Friday for mine, eek!

7. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    Chester had about 14 and at 9.45am we were 6th in the line.Checked out at 10.30am and they had about 4 left.
    My father-in-law was flapping that he wouldn't get one:suicide:

8. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i think it's safe to say that they won't have any left on the shelves after today - BUT, still give them a call or go in, because seemingly if they have sold out, they are expecting more in, - and it's a case of get your name on the list.:smashin:

9. PByrne

PByrne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I arrived at Bristol store at 10am, there was a queue of around 15 people outside.

I got in, spotted the TV on display an found an empty pallet below!

Spoke to a nearby staff member, he said there were 7 out this morning and they'd all gone, 3 more in the back which he'd fetch now.

He wheeled out three, of which I had one and another guy next to me had another.

Whilst checking out the lady confirmed they'd only had 10 in so I'd say they had ONE left at 10.15am!

It might be worth phoning if making a special trip down to Bristol as I'd expect they've sold out now.

10. kieran32

kieran32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    picked one up at Haydock branch, there was no mad rush only 5 sold and they still had about 20 left (stored on the shelving above wine coolers) at 11.20, for anybody wanting one in the North West.

11. fbass30

fbass30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just registered to the site after reading posts. I was looking to get a Sony 46 LCD from Costco so wondered how the Panny Plasma stacked up against it. I read the Which report on it and was put of a bit, but at that price I'm tempted. Is it accepted as a good set or is the excitement just because of the price?

Any opinions welcome.

12. vurt

vurt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I missed out. Costco Watford had sold out before I arrived.

Dang

13. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    The PZ80 is a better TV than the W4500.Have a look at the review on this site, not the one in Which (who are a waste of space in my opinion)

The W4500 has serious issues with backlight bleed and its picture is overated in my opinion.
    I know that What Hi-Fi love the W4500 but I wouldn't trust that review either.

14. davieg1

davieg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I got one at Weshill branch this afternoon (4pm)

only one left now out of 18, but box is badly damaged, and I would open and inspect before buying.

They are getting more stock in on Wednesday

15. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hear what your saying, and the Sony is good, no doubt about it. Was pretty surprised by the Which review, very negative about the Panny set, and not a lot of it justified i have to say. The things i picked up on from it was that the set was dull and the sound was very poor. Well, having bought the set today, and the first Blu ray DVD; Wall-E played on it for my kids, I thought it was fantastic - really bright. In fact, i commented to my wife that i just couldn't imagine watching it on an LCD as it would have probably been about another 10% brighter!!! The colours and motion were quite natural, something that i have been very disappointed in with my very highly rated Sony 32" LCD (ironically bought just slightly cheaper only about 7 months ago!)

Sounds, well the sound on the blu-ray was again really quite good, but dialogue does suffer I think - a bit little flat for my liking. It hadnles surround sound superbly though on it's own for a plasma, and that to me is a real plus. Thankfully i have a great cinema setup, so switching that on a bit helps.

Through Sky HD, and again pretty good, not nearly as sharp as Blu-Ray and as good with the audio, but still good enough. Standard definition, is a bit of a let down though - watched 'Lost' in SD and froma bout 6-8ft away it's slightly hazy looking - I guess you are going to notice it more when you've been watching HD channels.

All in all - no regrets with my purchase, certainly not at that price and with a 5 years warranty too. :clap:

16. nburcombe

nburcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well, I got one - just!! Apparently Liverpool got a delivery of 48 and of course you can't buy before 12pm as an Individual member, so I was just sweating it out at work wondering if they'd all go. Got there at 12:05 and there was 3 left. The demo model was on top of 2 of them and thrid one, which was accessible, the box was a bit trashed on it. Anyway the bloke wouldn't move the demo model to I took the mucky boxed one. After wandering for cat food and nappies, I saw someone else with one on the trolley so I went back to the Plasmas and sure enough, 1 left, in a mint box, so I swapped it. Apparently over the 2-15th of Feb Liverpool are getting 80 in, and clearly 47 (at least) were done today.

After owning a TH-37PV500B for a year (now in bedroom), then getting a chance for a cheap KDL-46X3000 from work (which I bought for a grand and last week sold for a grand after 4-5 months of ownership), I just couldn't live with LCD technology - it's just not up to the job.

The difference in contrast, colours and detail is just amazing and I'm sorry I every doubted my own eyes - I spent a long time picking the PV500 a 18months ago, but plumped for the £1700 spend because of the image quality - I should have reminded myself of the research I'd done.

Sure the Sony has a lot of calibration tweaking options compared to the Panny, but even with the default settings straight out of the box, the Panny is way better and much more natural. Best of all is I pockt about £200 and I also get a 5 year guaruntee too....what's not to like......best AV purchase I've made so far.

17. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    does anyone know - is the 5 year warranty with Panasonic, or do Costco cover it?

18. jay mc

jay mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Its with costco, all the details are on there website www.costco.co.uk

19. fbass30

fbass30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been into the Reading store and no stock until tomorrow. They are down to get 3 units but are hopeful of a few more. You can put your name on a list and they will call once in, but there is already at least 2 dozen names down. :(

20. samgamgee

samgamgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Bit pointless them calling though if youre at work during the day:rolleyes:

21. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    So whats the deal at costco? Is it a sale on all TV's or is it just the TH46PZ80 thats at whatever price? How longs it on for?

22. sp4rk13

sp4rk13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just the TH46PZ80 for £770.

23. jay mc

jay mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Just the 46 and the BD35 blu ray on offer tv wise and the offer ends on the 15th feb.

24. samgamgee

samgamgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    just got mine!!

25. c_bob_a_builder

c_bob_a_builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm intrigued how you found out about this sale/sale item, been a member for a year, the 1st communications I've ever had from them came this week - its a letter for the renewal fee :rolleyes:

26. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    lol same had my renewal notification as well, must have been a news paper ad or something to attract new members.

Personally i think the whole membership scheme is stupid anyway, not everything is a good deal in costco, things like nappies & DVD/Blu ray are cheaper at ADSA which i think is kinda lame since you had to pay to be a member, their 5yr TV cover is only valid as long as you continue to renew your membership (read the small print). You'd think with the way the economy is they'd open their doors a little more.

27. oj0

oj0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    To be fair to Costco, their target audience are trade customers who often need to buy products for resale value and benefit from certain VAT rules in place. Obviously ASDA are able to offer things like DVDs cheaper as they are a larger company than Costco and can enforce larger economies of scale against production companies. Not only this but Costco more than likely does not specify exactly what it wants on it's shelves when it comes to specifics like this but rather takes up opportunities to purchase selected items cheaper in the hope that they will have resale appeal to other small businesses.

The membership fee goes some way to covering their overheads meaning that the onshelf prices are essentially lower.

Geez its only £29 a year!:suicide:

28. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Its the principal of the thing really, why pay for exclusive membership for the privilage of paying higher prices? I think that if they can't provide lower prices then open to everyone public stores then they shouldn't stock those lines.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of things are cheaper, buying a bulk load of meat for example but if they are going to stock things like DVD's that can be bought elsewhere cheaper then why even bother? all it does it cause people to question their membership.

Look at the membership fee this way, if you only sign up to get a TV with a Costco 5yr warranty you actually have to pay £29 pa to insure you qualify for each years cover, that 'free' cover actually costs you £145.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  29. nburcombe

nburcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    As a member you should have recieved a special offers catalogue that was full of vouchers for various bits and bobs. The TV was on the second to last page in the bottom right corner. If you didn't get one then that's a pretty poor show from your local depot.

30. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    ^^ yeah i didn't get jack all! Pretty poor indeed.