• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cost to fix Xbox out of warranty?

Noggleboggleman

Does anyone know what the rate is to fix a fault when out of warranty (it's not RROD or E74, so not covered by 3 yr extension)? I've read somewhere it is a flat rate?

I have sound, but no picture. I've connected it to 2 different tvs with 2 different coonections (scart and component). Yesterday the colours went funny after a while (blue/ purple/ green tinted), this morning it was fine and this afternoon there was no picture at all, but there is sound.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! (Either about the cost to fix, or how to do it myself!)

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Hi, sounds similar to my failure, Standard charge for fixing is/was £60 but i had a almost £20 refund from the 60 so was about £40 for me. (must depend on whats fixed etc)
Give a detailed description of what's wrong if u go online, At time of my failure disk drive was sounding dodgy at times so mentioned that and that was fixed too.
link below click register repair on top right, So easy to do online it's the best option.
Dont know about self fixes so let others mention that.
Good Luck :)

Xbox.com | Official Xbox 360 UK | Customer Support

shagaboopon

You could try your luck with the towel fix, if you're really lucky it might induce RROD, it may make no difference or if you're unlucky it could fix it.

Bilbob

Stick a towel on it, it sounds like it's about to go e74 error...

Chrisoldinho

mine has no picture on it at all, no sound, nothing. it's like it had a catoclysmic meltdown all at once mid game. I can turn it on and all I get are the 3 red lights, no matter how many times I try...

Cost to repair £78.00 which I believe is the standard costs for xbox's out of warranty, this figure includes the 15% VAT.

At this price it might be worth considering getting a new console for £30 more but at the time I didn't realise how much it was going to cost and then I thought "bugger it" and also, as long as it works that's the main thing, and if I get one back with a HDMI port on it - bonus! :D

It did cross my mind to try and do an x-clamp fix and flash it then get a 2nd one, but for the effort it just wasn't worth it for me.

Croatoan

Sound but no video is related to the x-clamp fix.
Kits are available for as little as £3 provided you have the correct torx screwdrivers its not that hard to do.

You will need some good thermal paste ie artic silver.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know what the rate is to fix a fault when out of warranty (it's not RROD or E74, so not covered by 3 yr extension)? I've read somewhere it is a flat rate?

I have sound, but no picture. I've connected it to 2 different tvs with 2 different coonections (scart and component). Yesterday the colours went funny after a while (blue/ purple/ green tinted), this morning it was fine and this afternoon there was no picture at all, but there is sound.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! (Either about the cost to fix, or how to do it myself!)

How old is it?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/475729-2-year-warranty-standard-eu-law.html

Chrisoldinho

Last edited:

Croatoan

3 rings and e74 ( single ring ) are the only things covered by the three year warranty..............however.

I lied to microsoft on the phone as had an e73 and they fixed it for free.

Told them it was intermittant, said sometimes it was e73,e74 then would be ok.

They told me to plug it in and tell them the error code. Said "Its e74" they said dont worry sir we will fix it for free.

Chrisoldinho

Mine doesn't even have a display or anything. It's completely knacked.

I get no sound and no picture just 3 red lights. I don't know what this indicates other than it's completely knackered!! :D

Here's hoping I get a replacement HDMI model...Although somehow I doubt it.

I did put on the error message I sent:

3 red lights - no picture or sound
dvd drive intermittently makes a noise :D

in the hope they send me a completely as it will cost too much to repair.

shagaboopon

Mine doesn't even have a display or anything. It's completely knacked.

I get no sound and no picture just 3 red lights. I don't know what this indicates other than it's completely knackered!! :D

Here's hoping I get a replacement HDMI model...Although somehow I doubt it.

I did put on the error message I sent:

3 red lights - no picture or sound
dvd drive intermittently makes a noise :D

in the hope they send me a completely as it will cost too much to repair.

You will most likely get a refurbished model back, not your original. They did that for mine and it's in new condition thankfully.

Noggleboggleman

I've covered it in towels and blown hot air from a hairdryer into the vents. It started to flash 2 red lights, so I turned it off and left it. When I turned it on it started working...

I'm just hoping that it stays that way!

Thanks for your advice.

Noggleboggleman

So who can tell me why this has worked? Is it something to do with the connectors? I can't believe it's working after making it overheat!

Noggleboggleman

It stopped working again today, so I've just covered it in towels and blown the hairdryer into the vents. Unfortunately I put the hardryer a bit close and left it there for a bit too long so the back of the case has melted a bit...

I guess that means it's not covered by the 3 year warranty anymore should it get the 3 red lights, so I've ordered an x-clamp kit and I'll give that a try. If it doesn't work I'll buy a new one (Arcade). Should probably be able to make some of the money back selling off parts of the old one hopefully!

Noggleboggleman

It stopped again, so I've sent it off to MS hoping that they will sort it out for free with my 'intermittent 3 red lights' description. If not, I'll try and fix it myself. If that fails, then it's bye bye 360 for a while :(

shagaboopon

The reason the towel fix works to a degree is it stops the 360 getting nice cooling air into it and hence overheats. When it overheats some of the solder under the GPU can be reflowed a little which can fix the breaks which usually are the cause of 360 hardware issues.

Unfortunately the towel fix doesn't heat the GPU up anywhere near hot enough to provide a more permanent fix so they generally fail again shortly afterwards. The fact the towel fix got your 360 working again even for a short period proves the fault is in the same area RROD and E74 are and you should really have been entitled for them to fix it imo as it's a systemic manufacturing fault.

Finally not sure why you used a hair dryer mate as all you needed to do was wrap the 360 in a towel and turn it on, the extra heat wasn't necessary. Bit of a shame it didn't instigate RROD for you either.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom