1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cost ratio to amp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sticker, Jun 4, 2003.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a general rule of thumb as to what price range you should be looking at for your speakers in relationship to the amp?

For example if I had a Pio AX10 should I look at a 5 speaker setup that cost around the same price or double etc.

With processors and power amps should I be looking at the cost of both when looking at speakers, ie Arcam AV8 + Arcam P7 = cost of 5 speakers.

Thoughts

Regards
    John

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that spec is more important.
    I drive speakers worth £1500 with a £450 NAD C370.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Here's the one most of us use:

Cost of speakers that partner thinks look nice in room = Budget approved by partner - cost of amp that partner thinks looks nice in room.

Seriously I don't think there is a right answer to this question. For sure if you have a £2000 amp it would be wasted putting it through a £50 pair of speakers. However cost is not a solid indicator of quality (b*se being a prime example). Each of us has different opinions & needs driven by many factors (including my stupid comment above).

In my case my six speakers have cost twice the av receiver but I expect them to last through at least one upgrade cycle.

Buy what you like (if you can afford it) is my maxim

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    There have been a couple of interesting threads on this recently, opinions as expected do differ.
    Taking the specific of the AX10, personally i'd start looking at a set of 5 speakers at around the 1500quid mark, and work up from there, probably to around or just above 3000UKP. Not saying this is right, just where i'd start.

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guy's for your thoughts, particulary the WAF!:)

I've got certain speakers in mind, including those in my current music only set up, anyone used an all PMC setup, I currently have a pair of FB1's for music in a seperate room, but not certain how they will work with in partucular a centre from PMC?