1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of Switching off

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Quantum, May 14, 2004.

1. Quantum

Quantum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have heard mention that when you turn on and off an lcd projector you shorten the life of the bulb so a projector left turned on will last longer than one thats on and off all the time. My question is how much time does one on/off cycle shorten the bulb life by. To put it another way if i have my projector on but her indoors wants me to do one of those annoying things like spend time away from my playstation and pay her some attention how long away from the projector do i need to be before its worth turning off then on again?
    For example it would be crazy to turn it off then on for 1 minute to go to the toilet. What about 5 minutes to load the dish washer or 30 minutes to eat or 2 hours to cut the grass and wash the car? How long away do i need to be before the bulb life is shortened by more than the off/on cycle itself

Oh i have an AE100

Thanks
    Paul

2. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :lesson:

Well, there's a formula for calculating this, which is:

Z =(X-V)/M+(Q x K) + T

Where T = The time the projector has already been on

X = The amount of time you intend to use it when you return

V = The time you anticipate you will be away

M = The total hours used on the lamp to date

Q = The average hours used per week

K = The expected life of the bulb in hours

All variables are in hours and each new event means you have to re-calculate the decision.

If Z is less than 5000 turn it off.

Basically what I'm saying is who knows.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nodad.....

Very good................:)

Quantum,

No scientific way of telling - I dare say that somewhere in the manufacturers specs for the lamp there is a balance between on/off cycles and lamplife, but I doubt that we'll ever see it.

If it's any use to you, mine would stay on if I was coming back to it in, say 30 mins....... any longer I'd probably turn it off - this may also have to do with the fact that if I'm interrupted for something that'll take any longer than 30 mins, there's a fair chance that it could take a lot longer - ergo turn off the pj.....

If I recall correctly, my AE100 has about 1300 hrs logged, with about 600 on/off cycles -can't remember the exact numbers, but thought it was about 2 - 2.5 hrs per on/off cycle. There have been plenty of multiple movie sessions, and plenty of 30 minute tweak/set-up sessions, but 2 hrs or thereabouts is the average, about the length of a movie. If this was to be regarded as typical "expected" usage by Panasonic (there's a heroic assumption....), then you would expect the lamp to be capable of 2000 on/off cycles in a (theoretical) 5000 hrs eco-mode lamp life.

Sean G.

4. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    But seriously, I would say that if you are going to use it for twice the time you will be away (say leave it for 1/2 hour then watch for an hour) leave it on.

If you think about it, if you're not careful a good proportion of the lamp life ends up being used when it's not being watched, which is just as bad as reducing the lamp life keep turning it on and off.