Cost of Sky Hi Def

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by docnaz, Aug 23, 2005.

1. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had very interesting discussion with man in a small shop who knows the business rather than mainstream slaesman who usually does not. Keen to know if his comments resonate with others in this forum.

To watch HD via Sky, you will need

1) Sky + Box approx £399
    2) New cabling if you do not have Sky + anyway
    3) Initial progs (mainly footie and a few movies)in HD will be pay per view and
    4) package only available at top end of Sky packages possibly with extra subscription for the HD stuff.

Basically sounds like little change out of £1200-00 in first year including subs.
    Is this the near future of HD? If it is, I think I may just but a Panny PE50 series for 3 to 5 years and wait til prices more sensible! Most interested in any supporting or opposing views. Thanks.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Don't forget a HD telly:)

A lot of the cost is not an issue if you are already half way there.
    HD displays are getting quite common and already benefit from upscaling hardware in DVD players as well as some consoles and HTPC's.
    Dish setups as you say already cater for the SKY+ HD and I suspect those that bought into SKY+ will be the main group that buy into SKY+ HD.
    Packages, well again those that don't pay SKY now or have a lower cost packages are probably not by nature early adoptors and those that are well the price is always high at first.

In time there will be far more content especially once the BBC get in on the act and bottom line you lose nothing by waiting and see how it all pans out. A FTA HD set top box will certainly turn up sooner rather than later and maybe that will be enough for some with or without additional CAMS.
    It's a pity that the first generation of HD pre-recorded media and hardware will be so expensive otherwise that would be an ideal path into HD but it just be the next gen consoles that create a mini boom at least in the display department and then the source material.

Personally I can't wait to spend my money on it:)

3. The Big Man

The Big Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this mean if you cannot receive Sky+ (say, because you live in an apartment using a shared Sky dish) then you will not be able to receive Sky HD?

I assume that the sky cabling issue will affect these people again.

4. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fraid I do not know the answer to that question but the info from my salesman seems to imply that you will have to wait for an HD source from elsewhere.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well you can use SKY+ with one LNB feed but you lose a lot of the features that makes SKY+ worth the cost.
    The same will apply for the SKY+ HD which will need two independent LNB feeds to make full use of it's recording and viewing abilities. Very expensive piece of kit if you can only use a fraction of it's features.

6. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    So won't need new cable then :smashin: , looking to get Sky + very soon also will you need a new dish
    Pay for the footy , on top of a month fee , :thumbsdow TIGHT F*******

Yeah the first year about £1200.00 , that's a RIP OFF . can not be that much

:D

7. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Correct
    2. Correct
    3. Rubbish, all content will be for £10. Sky Box Office will be pay per view, as it is at the moment but some films will be vailabel in HD.
    4. HD sub will be £10, this will give you HD access to the viewing package you already see. ie Lower packages will get Sky One etc, but no HD Sports. Top packages will get all HD content.

The HD Box will have a 320Gig drive, partitioned into 2 160's. Only one of the 160's will be available to the customer to record on.

HD will cost an EXTRA £520 a year (£400 + install ? + £10 a month)

8. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Having resisted the temptation for years, I finally took the plunge and invested in Sky plus (160) last November and have been absolutely delighted with performance, variety of programming etc. One or two minor glitches but I have been very impressed.

Now, I am not eagerly awaiting the arrival of HD broadcasts though I will monitor the comments from our wide variety of members .

However, there is a strong possibility that in the very near future I shall be moving house. It is a refurbished grade 2 listed building, resulting in a communal dish. Having read the comments on this thread, I am suddenly alarmed. What am I going to miss, in terms of features??

Brian.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Got a link for the source of your info ?

10. The Big Man

The Big Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brian,

I raised it is a question as one of my friends tried to order Sky+ a few months ago through the sky website. At some point she had to put in her postcode details and was told that sky+ was not available to those using a communal dish. But looking at the website now this has now been removed. However in Sky's full list of requirements it now states that:

Online ordering is not available if you will need to connect your Sky/Sky+ box to a communal minidish that has already been installed (e.g. in a block of flats). Call 08705 800874 for more information.

I don't know if this means that it is now possible to have sky+ installed with a communal dish but you just can't order it online. I'd give them a call and find out. Let us know if it can be done as my friend would love to know.

11. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Big Man,

Thanks for your response.
    I will know for certain within the next few days whether the move is on, or not. I will also contact Sky and post any relevant comments on here.

Brian.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I could believe everything he said except the idea that you would only have access to 160gig which is pathetic for HD recording even when using mpeg4.
    Also there are few (if any) 320gig drives on the market, 300gig is far more common and therefore cost effective and then next step up being 400gig.

Always difficult to know when someone is speaking from actual knowledge or extrapolating from their current hardware specs like just doubling the current hard drive capacity:)

13. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a friend who has recently moved into a new apartment and the developers have included the infrastructure for proper Sky+ in each apartment - including 2 feeds for the Sky+ receiver. BUT - you still can't order on-line or via the usual telephone number. You have to call the special number for communal buildings. So it is possible.

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I had to ask 2 Point, because the whole thing seemed to be a mish-mash of truths, half-truths and rumours. As you say, 160GB is not a lot for HD recording.

15. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have verbal and written confirmation of the above, one I can't link to and the other I'd be daft to. :suicide:

The actual partitioning will be clear once I#we've got our hands on one of th boxes for real. I agree that a 320Gig sounds unlikly as their is only one (I beleive) manu of such a drive.

For those looking for a Sky+ only deal then there will be good news come January, expect changes to the pricing structure yet again for this product. Only a guess but it may be that HD follows in the same direction and is launched at less than the £399 currently in vogue.

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Your predictions are about as precise as the ramblings of Nostradamus :rolleyes:

Of course the price will drop in January 2006 - prices always drop after Christmas.

17. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the prices of Sky HD and HD TVs will drop as do the prices of all new technology. It will be reasonably affordable in about 2 years, at which point The Next Big Thing You Must Have will be released, at an exorbitant price :D

18. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes:

Whatever dude, I'll pass on what I know, not what I'm guessing.

If I was guessing I'd say the Sky+ box will be free and the stanbdard box will cease to be. I suspect this, but I don't have any evidence to support it.

19. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maxtor do a 320gig hdd, i have just bought 20 for a cctv job.

20. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Surely only the 1st year?!

TBH I'm sure even Sky don't have the balls to ask us to pay 400 sheets for hardware and then charge a tenner sub as well. I would have thought £299 was more the mark for the STB?

21. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Once you have the STB and the display then your only ongoing cost is the subscription, there is still no official word on how it will be structured.
    It may be that the HD content is tied to the SD packages so if you want all the SKY HD content then you would have to have SKYworld as well.
    Of course after the first year you would hope there were more third party content, some FTA and perhaps standalone not to mention the first signs of pre-recorded media thus freeing you from SKY for movie content.

I think SKY will charge whatever they think they can get away based on the interest from early adoptors and the expenditure required to design and manufactur the STB. It wasn't that long ago that the SKY+160 cost £399 (plus install) and an extra tenner a month:)

£400 (with vat of course) is perhaps ball park for a retail mpeg4 based HD receiver with integrated hard drive recording. The pretty standard mpeg2 units (with no recording) used for EURO1080 were not much different in price when they appeared and they were not using licensed NDS hardware.

Expect the worst, hope for the best:)

22. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky will charge whatever they think they can get, and with some people on these forums falling over themselves to sign up for something that they don't even know the price of, I suspect they may have the balls to charge lots, if these people are typical :rolleyes:

23. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Or in other words, follow their current pricing policy...

24. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :rotfl:
    :rotfl:

So true......!

I just think they will lose a lot of interest if they go OTT on cost.

Yes I know they need to recoup development cost etc. and will always take advantage of early adopters who will spend anything (which will be me as I have had a HD ready DLP since January!).

But there must be so many people waivering at the moment. Not the average Joe Public who has only just discovered widescreen, but sensible, knowledgeable people like the majority of you guys who are debating when to go HD.

All it takes is a bit of common sense on SKY's part to realise they could probably double the number of initial takers by keeping the price of the kit sensible :lease:

Still.......you are probably right guys.

After all "Greed is Good", as someone once said.

25. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    That says it all really. In the first year at least, they wont be going after joe public, who has to buy a new (and fairly expensive) TV to take advantage of HD, but they will be going after "early adopters who will spend anything".

It seems to me Sky are a creature of habit. They have a tried and trusted approach now via Sky+ that proves they can charge £399 for new hardware, and £10 a month sub premium, and get no shortage of takers.

Sky HD would seem likely to follow a similar pattern.

However, it seems to me that the complicated thing is the channel mix. Many potential early HD adopters may still not want all the HD channels. If you don't currently subscribe to Sky Sports for example, why would you suddenly want Sky Sports HD? So it will be interesting to see what HD channel packages they offer

26. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear, yet another Sky bashing post. I feel a rant coming on....

As with all commecial companies they are driven by profit, to do otherwise would see them go bust. IMO greed is good as it means they want our money, and to do this they will have to strick a balance between making a profit and pricing themselves out of the market.

Yes, there will be a premium price early on (to catch early adopters like me) and it will come do late on. and yes, they will continue to offer better deals to new starters over current users to attract new business

The answer is simple, if they charge more than you think is 'sensible' don't buy, wait for the price reduction. if enough people take this approach they will bring the price down to met the Profit / sales volume equation.

I don't mean to pick on you in particular but I see so many 'anti' Sky posts, many from people who pay way over the odds for kit and then don't want to pay for content, that I wanted to say my bit.

Rant over

27. TrevP

TrevP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THis is what every profit driven company does...not only SKY. If you or I have a service/product to offer to the masses, we test the market with a price, and if enough people part with their cash, that is what the price will be. Any product is worth what people are prepared to pay for it, even if the market price is hundreds of pounds above 'cost'.

A few techo geeks who rush out to buy as soon as it is launched will not sustain a price that is too high for the masses, and if the launch price is too high, which it may well be, then Sky will soon offer packages that make it more viable to the majoriy of the paying public.

Sky are a profit seeking company, and are entitled to be. For all those that criticise Sky for this, for that, (and I don't include you in this Nick_UK)
    it's easy, if the price is too high for you then just don't pay it....it's your choice, and stop moaning.

28. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796

Sorry, but were you refering to me? (I don't know as you didnt quote anyone, and your post followed mine)

I wasn't bashing sky. Like you, I was just saying why they would charge a premium in the early adoptors days. And then quering how they would price the channel line up

29. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great post :)

Remember back when they Sky first started, they were losing millions.
    They are starting to re-coup their original investment now, and why not.

They had the balls to carry on and there is no serious competition, most people think of the subsription cost and whinge,are we forgetting you receive a sky decoder box that is a pvr that can access hours of viewing and there is nothing else to touch it on the market!

I've had sky+ from launch and its worth it for the Football alone (imo), every blade of grass is covered , who else will do this?

We spend fortunes on AV kit and this is the only source worth watching, if we want the launch price to be peanuts then dont register for the initial details and maybe the marketing men will get the message and give it away,
    but you cant resist can you :)

30. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Well hopefully with Sky HD, every blade of grass will now be visible too :clap: