1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of repositioning roof beams?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Tracey, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping someone that has had a loft conversion or any roofers (is that the correct term) may be able to help me. I toyed with the idea of getting the loft converted professionally but after quotes of £15k minimum :eek: I decided against it as I live in a 3 bedroom house, there's only two of us and it was just a luxury not a necessity. So, what we want now is to just board out the loft so we can walk around and maybe put a velux window in, then the loft would just be used for storage and light exercise equipment. The problem is that our house was built in the 1930's and we have a truss roof which means the roof beams run diagonally from ceiling to floor in a 'w' shape, so there is hardly any useable space. So what we would like is to pay a professional to relocate the beams so we can make full use of the space. Does anyone know what this would involve and any idea of the cost? Am I being realistic with a budget of £3k maximum? Everything else we can do ourselves but unless the beams are moved we can't really use the space at all. :mad:

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Trussed rafters get their strength from the integrated design, so it is not just a case of removing the struts/braces. The timber sections are likely to be thinner than those in a traditional roof to take account of the shared loading of a truss, so the whole roof will need strengthening.

You should not remove any timber unless a suitably qualified person has redesigned the roof. It would also require building control approval.

Your £3000 estimate is very unrealistic. It more likely to be a major job, which if you are going to do it would be, in effect, a loft conversion.

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I know it's a major structrual job and that's why we wouldn't do any of that ourselves, don't want the house to fall down :laugh:
    We did have a quote of £15k from a loft company who are known to be expensive but good, but that included fire doors, fixed staircase and windows, I have no idea how much of that was for the cost of the roof. Maybe I'll get a quote from a roof company rather than a loft conversion company.

4. ji_

ji_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only way to reduce the numbers of trusses would be to add a steel beam to each side running along the underside of the roof. This will not be cheap.

Beware as well that any new works on your roof will need to comply with current buildign regs...which may well mean extra trusses, not less!

5. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the loft conversion people will take care of *all* the building regs, etc then IMO it's worth it at the £15k (depending on the size of your loft), bear in mind that if you just want to floor a loft you don't need building warrant but if you want to line it you do. There is little difference between lining a loft and turning it into a proper room.

Been toying with the idea myself as our loft has had some stuff done to it already and could easily be turned into a decent sized HC room (4.5mx9 or 10m) but our main problem is where to stick a stair without ruining any of the rooms below.