Cost of reasonable dvd/dvd-a/SACD setup

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KoThreads, Jan 26, 2005.

1. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    What amount of money would be considered reaonable for a decent DVD/DVD-A/SACD system that would do the sound quality justice?

And is it better than a really good 2-channel system/

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    It is different to a really good 2 channel system - if you want to compare the 2 for stereo performance then the stereo system will almost certainly be better but comparing stereo music to multichannel music is like comparing apples and pears, most people will have a preference between the two but to catagorically state one is actually better than the other is not possible.

As to cost - depends what you are including, DVD player?, AVR?, TV/Plasma?, Cabling? Speakers?

3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I've tried some fairly cheapy SACD players, so can comment a little.

I have a 575a Pioneer, and frankly even on SACD it's no great shakes and wouldn't recommend it for musical duties.
    Last year I did try a mid-range Marantz DVD player with SACD capability, I can't remember the model name but it was about £300.
    In the shop, and comparing it to a Cyrus 8, I thought it did rather well (that was using the Marantz with SACD, the Cyrus on CD).

I was impressed enough to go for a home dem.
    My AV system is no great shakes (cheapy Marantz AV amp), but the stereo is fairly good being a full Naim pre-power system with Linn speakers.
    Comparing the Marantz (again using SACD) to my Naim CD5i (about £850 now), the Marantz was similar overall, but clearly better in some ways and worse in others. Spacial positioning on SACD is pretty awesome, and separation of instruments IMO is much better than CD. Making up for that it was lacking in low in clout, drive and simply wasn't that much fun to listen to.

Personally I decided against SACD. It's clearly got potential, but would mean buying a LOT of new software to justify the cost of the machine. For me, I'd rather focus on a single format to optimise it.
    If I were serious about switching formats, I'd buy a really good record deck.

4. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think personally that to do real justice to SACD over CD, you would need to have a resonably high end AMP / speaker /cable package to really appreciate it's differences. But like Astaroth says, it's a matter of taste over 2 channel and multichannel. I prefer the latter! Go and have a test at a good independant dealer and see what you think.

5. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hi Astaroth.

Difficult because I didn't explain that I already have a 6.1 system, kenwood X9060 and Mission speakers (all 700 series) and an Acer PD113 projector, and although it's fine for movies I miss the sound of my old Arcam 7 and 8, Kef Coda 8 setup. In stereo the kenwood fed through the 702e speakers just isn't exciting, it sounds o.k. but it's much like any old stereo, nothing special. So the question really should have been how much more would I need to spend.

I haven't the room for a separate stereo Hi-Fi and don't want to lose the movie setup just improve it music wise. Current CD is Sony XB930

So I think it would be player, 6 ch amp, speakers (cable QED Silver, it's what I use now and love it's balance) sub (already have but is it needed for multi channel music or not?) no screen as I would use my projector. It's the sound I want to improve with the same number of speakers (7 including sub) not add more.