Cost of petrol/Deisel

puterkid

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Petrol has gone up again. I've worked it out that for every £60 quid I spend on petrol, around £35 goes to the government in tax. £35!!! Imagine that on a countrywide scale! VAT is added to both the levy, which is nearly 60p a litre, and the cost of the petrol. Revenue must be rocketing for the government, from petrol and from the rises in gas and electricity bills.

I filled up first time in 3 months today at Morrisons at 144.7p.

Saying that, last 2,000 miles only used £30 of petrol 😃 (Hybrid Golf GTE)

Tax is levied per litre:

Look here: Gas Taxes in Europe

The higher prices are due to wholesale prices going up.. Last January here in Slovakia, Diesel was €1.01 a litre.. Today when I filled up it was €1.64. The tax to the government per litre stays the same, it's price increases being passed on by the supplier..

Of course the more expensive it gets, the more VAT the government gets..

Well that's great for you. Once again there is a wealth effect, those who can afford newer more economic cars can save a lot of expenditure, whereas those on low incomes are stuck quite often with the older gas guzzlers.

I only wish I could afford a car like that but I have to make do with my qashqai. Fuel economy isn't too bad to be fair as its only a 1.5 diesel. Fuel stations around here now seem to have a shortage of regular diesel and I have had no option to pay for the premium version twice in a fortnight which is 1.67 per litre.

I can remember it being 0 67 per litre when I passed my test and the elders in the family were complaining back then how expensive it is compared to when they were my age.

Tax is levied per litre:

Look here: Gas Taxes in Europe

The higher prices are due to wholesale prices going up.. Last January here in Slovakia, Diesel was €1.01 a litre.. Today when I filled up it was €1.64. The tax to the government per litre stays the same, it's price increases being passed on by the supplier..

Of course the more expensive it gets, the more VAT the government gets..
I realise this, it's just that perhaps the government should be looking at supporting it's citizens who are struggling with a better package for their energy bills from this extra tax they are earning. Won't happen with this lot, but the argument the money isn't there is not true.

I only wish I could afford a car like that but I have to make do with my qashqai. Fuel economy isn't too bad to be fair as its only a 1.5 diesel. Fuel stations around here now seem to have a shortage of regular diesel and I have had no option to pay for the premium version twice in a fortnight which is 1.67 per litre.

I can remember it being 0 67 per litre when I passed my test and the elders in the family were complaining back then how expensive it is compared to when they were my age.
Showing my age, I remember my father getting 4 gallons and a shot of Red-X for a pound.

Well that's great for you. Once again there is a wealth effect, those who can afford newer more economic cars can save a lot of expenditure, whereas those on low incomes are stuck quite often with the older gas guzzlers.
It was only £1.5K more than the GTD Diesel at the time (less after government rebate) and same as the Petrol GTI. It only has a real 20 mile electric range but for me that's 95% of all my journeys.

But my first car at 19 was £750 for a clapped out Renault 5, we all take the journey to better cars through life, not necessarily down to wealth, never been into the high Tax bracket wages wise. 50 yo before I bought my first New Car.

Last edited:
The biggest fiddle is the change to unmanned pumps taking £100 from accounts then refunding the balance to what people actually have. They should simply allow people to put in an amount they want and dispense that. - Another attack on the less well off who are more likely to use these as the fuel costs are cheaper.

The biggest fiddle is the change to unmanned pumps taking £100 from accounts then refunding the balance to what people actually have. They should simply allow people to put in an amount they want and dispense that. - Another attack on the less well off who are more likely to use these as the fuel costs are cheaper.
Not really, just pay on your VISA so doesn't tie your money up. Or, pay cash or card at the kiosk (not the pump).

My local unmanned pumps are totally the opposite they only take £1 initially but let you fill up to £100

Not really, just pay on your VISA so doesn't tie your money up. Or, pay cash or card at the kiosk (not the pump).
If there's no kiosk then you have to pay at the pump, and if you don't have a credit card (ie poor credit history) then the only way is a debit card.
Of course you could get an electric vehicle, but those are out of people's price range of they are on a tight budget, not seen many or even any cheap ev cars on the used car market.

If there's no kiosk then you have to pay at the pump, and if you don't have a credit card (ie poor credit history) then the only way is a debit card.
Of course you could get an electric vehicle, but those are out of people's price range of they are on a tight budget, not seen many or even any cheap ev cars on the used car market.
I've never even seen a Petrol station without a kiosk in UK, but take your word on it.

My local unmanned pumps are totally the opposite they only take £1 initially but let you fill up to £100
That is what is changing. This is due to people filling up and not having the funds in their accounts to cover the cost of fuel taken.

I've never even seen a Petrol station without a kiosk in UK, but take your word on it.
Our Asda one has no kiosk.

That is what is changing. This is due to people filling up and not having the funds in their accounts to cover the cost of fuel taken.

Surely a bigger fiddle then is people taking petrol they cannot afford to pay for irrespective of current high fuel charges

One I use in Stockton in a Sainsbury and a Gulf in Coleshill near Birmingham last week

One I use in Stockton in a Sainsbury and a Gulf in Coleshill near Birmingham last week
Have a Asda, Morrisons and Tesco all near me plus a few linked to Coop and the usual Shell/Texaco type ones and all have Kiosks and act as mini supermarkets in their own right. More seem to be going that way around here too.

Have a Asda, Morrisons and Tesco all near me plus a few linked to Coop and the usual Shell/Texaco type ones and all have Kiosks and act as mini supermarkets in their own right. More seem to be going that way around here too.
The kiosk less ones seem to be a couple of pence cheaper. Where I live there a 4 petrol stations, Morrisons in 148.9, Gleaner 149.9 and Esso and BP both 151.9.

The kiosk less ones seem to be a couple of pence cheaper. Where I live there a 4 petrol stations, Morrisons in 148.9, Gleaner 149.9 and Esso and BP both 151.9.

Cheap in Yorkshire, 144.7p yesterday :rolleyes: (petrol, not Diesel)

So, moral is don't buy your fuel from unmanned stations or pay at the pump. If we don't use unmanned stations they will stop making them.

So, moral is don't buy your fuel from unmanned stations or pay at the pump. If we don't use unmanned stations they will stop making them.
So moral is spend a couple of pence more per litre. OK it’s only 60p-£1 per tankful, but it all adds up.

So moral is spend a couple of pence more per litre. OK it’s only 60p-£1 per tankful, but it all adds up.
Well only if you don't want £100 reserving against your card where applicable. I always go to Morrisons as its always my cheapest & nearest.

In my area it’s only £1 that’s reserved.
Strange that. I'd read in news about them bringing in the £100 pre-authorisation. Does the machine keep hold of your card until transaction completed then spits it out?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom