Cost of Network Cabling and Power in loft

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dave111, Sep 7, 2017.

1. dave111

dave111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi
    We are in the process of a house refurb and I wanted to check if my builder is trying to rip me off.

I have asked him to install 2network cables to [downstairs room], [upstairs room], [loft] they will be connected to a switch under the stairs.

Additionally I have asked for a double power socket in the loft.

The house is a building site - floorboards are up, plaster is off the walls - so easy access.

He has charged me £120 for the power
    £200 for the 3 sets of network cables.

Is this reasonable? Sounds like a lot to me.
    cheers

2. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,600
    Taking the pish.

£45 a pair inc 15-year warranty!

If you are local to Rochdale I can do it for a crate of beer, packet of crisps, 50-year-old malt Courvoisier

3. SteakAndCake

SteakAndCake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,390
    If the floors are up and accessible, run them yourself and just get him to connect the power at both ends and you can do the network points yourself.

£200 to run 3 cables is taking the piss if all the hard work is done and everything is accessible.

Or just pay for the power and use Homeplug Ethernet over powerline for the networking.

4. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,036
    Does it involve any chasing, and making good of walls ?

5. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,059
    What does 'install' entails?

From what I'm hearing it is actually 6 cables, to be terminated underneath the stairs. Will that be on a patch panel? And then leads from he patch panel to the switch? How far are the rooms away from the riser? How are the cables terminated in the three rooms? Are they on a wall socked chased into the wall and properly terminated. Does it include testing with a fluke to ensure they've been terminated properly? Does the quote include the materials? How long do you think the job will take? Is it VAT inclusive?

When done properly, I think it is actually good value for money. But so few details and so many questions...

6. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,600
    Sounds point to point to me, faceplate to rj45?

7. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,461
    If you have the opportunity put Ethernet cable down - make sure they use CAT 6 - you may not benefit over CAT 5e but you may as well put the best down while you have the chance.

Don't use HomePlugs. I'm a big fan but their real world performance is much much less than their advertised theoretical maximum.

I use them all over (AV500s until recently). Thought they were great, never a problem, only really using them to download/stream from the internet and they were running faster than my broadband.

But recently, started to stream uncompressed BluRay from my NAS to Dune Media player - stutters like mad.

Did some tests and I was only get 20Mbps read from the NAS.

Replaced with AV2 1300 which has solved the problem, getting about 90 Mbps read from NAS - no stutters.

But if I ever go to 4K or higher I might have to replace again.

If I had the opportunity to run Ethernet, I would like a shot - perhaps as I decorate rooms I will start adding it but that will be years before I get a joined up system.

As for pricing - depends on what they have to do - do they have to chase out walls or push behind plasterboard without doing too much damage - or is it all open and accessible.

If the latter why not run the cabling yourself, even terminate the ether faceplates - some just push on just like fitting a telephone extension - no soldering, no chance of shock and you aren't going to do any harm if you make a mistake.

But remember the guy has to make a living - imagine yourself - if someone had done a lot of preparation and reduced the job to 30 minutes would you be prepared to go out and finish it for a tenner?

I would say that his prices are at the upper end of the ball park.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,059
    Let's assume it is faceplate to RJ45. That is three faceplates; are they surface mounted or are they chased in? Let's assume surface mounted. Say what? 30 minutes per faceplate box to drill into the wall, terminate the cabling, run and fix the cables on whatever route there is with no further issues at all. So let's be generous and allow just 2 hours for this job in 4 rooms, across 3 floors with surface mounted termination in the room and simply to RJ45 on the other side.

£200 - VAT - materials - tax / 2 hours = I'd say a rather low hourly rate to get this done. But without the key important information it is impossible to say either way...

9. dave111

dave111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for the responses so far.
    in the lounge and upstairs office - terminated in sockets chased into walls.

includes supply of all materials

10. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,036
    Chased into walls - and supply of all materials -in which case I think it's pretty good. If anything cheap.

11. ufo550

ufo550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    The thing is, your builder isn't going to do it, he'll use his electrician. The electrician will have provided your builder with a quote for the work. The builder will then add his mark on the electricians quote, then give you the quote.

A typical price for the installation, testing & certification of power socket outlet, would be around £60-80 (ish), dependant on circumstances. I wouldn't be able to provide costs for
    network cables. Extras always attract a slightly higher cost during any project.

You have to consider whether you have this done now, or at a later date (with your own electrician) and endure the additional disruption.

Do you have other extras that need doing, and negotiate the costs.

12. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,059
    I think that is actually rather cheap :) Go for it...

13. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    50 year old malt? Are there any under £2k? Or you really keen on fine malt vinegar?

14. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    It's easy to say just run a cable, but it will likely involve a lot of up and down ladders and untwisting and anchoring. Like anything, there is always more to it than meets the eye. It makes sense to do it, but if you have access, running the cables yourself is the biggest part of the job. And knowing what to purchase in the first place. However, it is an easy DIY task. I found no difficulty myself.

15. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    these types of prices is why i do this kind of thing myself. put a power point in the loft, 8 network cables, tv aerial points every bedroom and lounge . no chases it just ran all the cables down the cavity all done for under £100

16. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,059
    And your own time is valued at?

17. ufo550

ufo550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    I would advise against running pvc insulated cables in brick/block wall cavity, if that's what you mean. You cannot guarantee the cables will not be damaged during insulation, some forms of cavity wall insulation may react with the pvc, the cables are not adequately support over their length and (although some dispute this) ingress of water can migrate between the cavities.

That said, seen loads of examples, but you would not seen this type of installation on a new build, because of the reasons above.

All electrical installations should be designed & installed in accordance with BS 7671 (in the UK). In England & Wales the Building Regulations set standards for building work. Part P building regs requires compliance with BS 7671. Building regs are statutory.

18. dave111

dave111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks all

19. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    should have been more specific the electrical was done internal. network cable and aerial cable in the cavity. does network and and tv cabling come under part p?

20. ufo550

ufo550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    BS 7671 includes requirements for fixed wiring for information, communication technology etc, e.g. proximity with low voltage cables. There are other BS standards for telecommunication systems.

Part P building regs apply to electrical installations intended to operate at extra or low voltages. In Wales the installation of wiring/equipment for telephone or extra-low voltage communications, information technology, control or similar purposes, in a special location is notifiable.

In any case, it's not a good idea to run any cable in a cavity, or specifically down a cavity, for the reasons previously posted. :)

21. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    well you learn something new everyday. wont be ripping it out its been fine for the last 8 years so will just leave it

22. ufo550

ufo550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    As said seen similar installs, 'Everyone's free to wear sunscreen'!

23. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,748