cost of keeping a cat with diabetes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JFRTDI, Jul 27, 2012.

1. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Morning all,

My cat last week was acting odd compared to usual by drinking lots of water and going toilet a lot and also staying in alot. He is usually out most of the time so was strange to see him constantly in sleeping.

We took him to the vet on Monday and they checked him over and said everything seemed ok but to do a urine test so we got a wee sample and took it back. £53 for a consultation and a wee test, scandalous.

The vet rang back this morning and told my wife there was small signs of diabetes but suggested we come see him again and do a bloodtest. So another £53.

Anyway my wife said the vet told her keeping a vet with diabetes is expensive and quoted ludacris figures to her.

So im wondering if anyone knows what costs are involved in having a cat with diabetes.

Thanks

2. TheAdmiralCS

TheAdmiralCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,244
    Do you have insurance? Would imagine that would cover medical costs.
    How old is the cat, by the way, and what alternative is there to keeping it? I would hope that anyone taking a pet would be willing to do whatever it took to keep them healthy...?

3. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I would imagine that with a bit of research you can succesfully manage mild diabetes in a cat without too much cost. There seem to be a myriad of different foods available for different circumstances. Contact the food manufacturers directly for advice or perhaps a cat based web site.

Don't worry too much about sleeping lots, all cats do it, but most don't do it openly. (They go out looking purposeful in the morning and find a comfortable billet to sleep the day away. Then they come back in the evening, pretend to look tired and curl up for a 'well deserved rest')

But £53 for a urine test is taking the ****. And you all saw that coming, I know)

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,409
    LMGTFY ;)

Cost will depend on the severity of the condition & how much it can be managed by diet rather than medication. You aren't going to know the answer to that until you have a full diagnosis. Maybe ring a few other vets & see what they charge for the tests?

5. PocketBunny

PocketBunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +680
  6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

FWIW, a cat with diabetes can still live a full and relatively happy life, but it's one of those illnesses that can either:

1) last the rest of their life (and depending on how old your cat is, that could be a long time), or

2) go away quite quickly, once treatment has started.

Sadly, there's no way of knowing which category (no pun intended) your cat will fit in too. What you will need to do is make an assessment of what you pay for your cat now (in terms of food and vet/medical expenses), and then times that by the number of years that an average cat lives - which is usually between 15-20 years in total. Add-on about 40% of your original assessed figure, and that will give you a rough idea of how much you are likely to spend.

That amount will only be a guideline. You may spend more, or you may spend far less. But at least it's a figure that you can work with.

You then have to decide whether you can care for a cat, knowing that it may get worse, or that your cat may have diabetes for the rest of its life, albeit one that is a treatable condition.

There's no right or wrong way to decide, and whilst I would urge you to try and stick with the cat (after all, it's your pet/family member), some people find that they can't cope emotionally or financially.

Speak to other vets in your area, and also do some research online, to see if that can offer you any further advice. I've had friends who've had cats that lived a further eight-to-ten years from when the cat was initially diagnosed, and some, where a cat died within a year or so. There's no way of knowing how long your cat will live for, but I would still urge you to keep it, rather than giving it up. Many cats who are ill or sick, struggle to get rehomed, and it's not fair on the cat that you disown it, simply because it gets a bit too much for you.

Please don't take that the wrong way, but I'm a firm believer in people who take on pets should look after them through thick-and-thin, unless there is absolutely no other option available to them. A pet is for life, as the saying goes.

Lastly, in regards to pet insurance, if you are already covered, then you may find that helps pay for future bills. If you aren't, then you may find it difficult to get insurance, as many pet insurance companies won't take you on if your pet has an already diagnosed/underlying condition.

I hope you get everything sorted, and your cat improves. :)

Pooch

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  7. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,409
    Also worth bearing in mind that medication & veterinary diet foods can often be bought online much cheaper than what a vet's surgery would charge.

8. officerdibble11

officerdibble11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    sorry to hear about your cat, out of interest how the hell do you capture a urine sample from a cat ?

9. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Not just me wondering, then.
    That's a relief.
    So to speak.
    I can feel the start of a hole being dug here, so I'll stop.

10. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,409
    [​IMG]

11. gus607

gus607

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Coincidentally we took one of our cats the the vets the other night ! She is 17 years old (had her from a kitten} & always enjoyed good health, in fact apart from Neutering she has only visited the vets once.

The last few months she has been drinking a lot of water but not excessive amounts then noticed on Monday she seemed to have an itchy rear end !

Off we went to the vets & he said it is possibly a water infection or Diabetes.

He gave her an injection & gave us a bag of tablets to give her two a day which are antibiotics also a bag of crystals to get a water sample for analysis.

Done some research on the web & a lot of vets say that a diet of normal cat meat is quite good instead of expensive "Science" dietary food.

My bill on Monday night was £53 for the consultation (£28.80) & the rest for medication etc. The antibiotics are very cheap, a common broad spectrum drug.

Since Monday she has returned to her normal self in fact as I type this she has climbed on to my lap !! However she did bite the Misses yesterday when she tried to put a tablet in the cat's mouth.

Here's "Tiger" from a few weeks ago. Tiger having a drink of water. - YouTube

I will keep my fingers crossed & hope your cat is soon well again.

12. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Took him vets today, had a glucose test done which was high but he also wanted to do a blood test to confirm his theory. It come back extremley high which confirmed he had diabetes :-(

The cost this time was 35 but we have to go back again monday so he can show us how to administer insulin etc so thats another 25+.

We are going to have to give him approx 0.2ml of insulin twice a day for the rest of its life now while taking him for regular blood tests etc. I will howvever not be purchasing canininsulin from the vet as they wanted 15 quid for 2.5ml or 36 quid for 10ml where as online its 12 quid for 10ml which should last approx 3 months.

The insulin syringes are 12 quid for 60 which is a months worth. The vet wanted 6 quid for 3, no wonder they come out with extortinate figures for approx ongoing treatment costs.

The good thing is my pet insurance covers on going treatment after my excess of 69 quid. I have paid 89 quid since wednesday so can start claiming back soon. Although it will only cost approx 17 quid a month to treat the cat which is relativley cheap, if you buy everything from the vet it works out very very expensive.

So i think ill just pay the year out of our pocket then claim at the end of the year if possible via the insurance which can then pay for next year and ill do the same again.

Re the wee sample, just got some crystal balls and out them in the litter tray, he was reluctant to go as he is always out doing the business but keeping him in for numerous hours done the trick and he eventually went and we was able to suck it up via a tube and deposit it in a test tube :)

13. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,409
    Any excuse to run this out again:

14. Davidc7230

Davidc7230

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Wow our cat is diabetic the vials are like £50 for 8 weeks worth. It's supposed to be used quick after opening or it goes funny. Syringes are pretty cheap a box costs like £30 for 60ish. The cat hates the jab but we bribe her with a treat.

15. Donstoy

Donstoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Our cat had diabetes for the last 10 years of her life (she was about 16 when she died). Didn't really think about the cost (pack of needles and a monthly? vial of insulin was about £50), two injections a day (used needles several times rather than once). Hardest part initially was the regular urine sample collections and blood tests to work out the right insulin dose, followed by occasional hypoglycaemic spells if she'd been off her food (emergency trips to the vet) and frequent cystitis. Also hard finding catteries that would take her if we wanted to go on holiday. Her kidneys gave up in the end but until then she seemed to have a decent life (apart from the skin complaint that required steroid pills).
    Best of luck and hope all goes well.