Cost of KDS-55A2000 lamp...?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Just doing some idle Froogling, and I was a bit surprised that the cheapest I could find a replacement lamp for the Sony KDS-55A2000 was close to £475. :eek:

That represents a rather alarming addition to the running cost if the price stays that high. Is it actually available much cheaper elsewhere and I've missed it, or is it going to stay at that price?

arfster

RPTV lamps are always like that from the manufacturer, especially at first :-(

The only way it'll stay at anything like that is if Sony have some proprietary(aka scam) setup where you can't just slot in the bulb itself. If you can, it's easy just to buy the bulb from some wholesale place for £80 or so.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
...where you can't just slot in the bulb itself. If you can, it's easy just to buy the bulb from some wholesale place for £80 or so.
That strikes me as quite a big "if". I think maybe it's something people need to determine before forking out on one of these TVs. I mean, okay, 8000 hours is a lot, but that's 8000 hours till half brightness - you might not want to wait that long before changing it. Maybe it'll be too dark, or the colours will be wrong. If you needed to change it at 4000 hours, and it's a family TV racking up 7 hours of viewing a day (by several different people) then you could find yourself having to spend nearly £500 every 18 months. That's not something you can simply ignore.

arfster

Fair point - it's not like Sony have a good record with this either, with the likes of Memorystick and Bluray.

I see the lamp here with casing for 300 euros:

http://www.cesky-spolek.com/DLP/Lampe-Ampoule-Thomson-Sagem-DLP.php

...or probably better, $249 from the US (+20% import taxes):

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=34343

Once the model is better known, you may be able to buy the bulb alone. The chassis from the pics above looks kinda standard, and it's a 120W bulb so may even be the bog standard Osram that most RPTV sets use. If so, £80 to £100 or so.

Tharkûn

Standard Member
Just doing some idle Froogling, and I was a bit surprised that the cheapest I could find a replacement lamp for the Sony KDS-55A2000 was close to £475. :eek:
:eek: Ebay buyfromjapan store : 225,00 USD.
Very serious site (received within a few days). :smashin:
You have sometimes to wait to be able to order one though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom