Cost of importing a new lamp?

vansteps

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm thinking about buying a new lamp for my samsung DLP tv and was considering importing one from America. Samsungparts.com is selling the lamp for $180 (£90) including shipment to the uk. But I know to expect bill at this end! I've also seen it for sale in the UK for 256 euros (£179)!

Does anyone know what the average import duty would be on an item such as this? Would I be better importing or buying from the UK?

Thanks

vansteps

At the most you might have to pay 10% VAT which also takes into account the postage costs when doing this. You're looking at a maximum bill of around £110 because parcelforce who deal with the parcel once in the UK have a handling charge usually £6 but it can be more.

Its definately cheaper to import. You might get lucky and it might slip through customs and hence not pay anything on top of the £90. I've ordered loads of bits from the States, in fact everything except my PC case for my new computer came from the States and i ended up saving well over £600-700 in what it would have cost had i bought everything over here.

Sorry, but VAT was 17.5% last time I looked.

It works like this.

1: Convert the invoice value including shipping to a Sterling Amount using the current notional rate of exchange. (Don't know exactly, but it will be about 2:1). Call this the CIF Value.

2: Calculate DUTY on the above. The rate of DUTY varies hugely depending on the item, between zero and about 40%. Most goods are in the 5% region, but check with HMR&C to be sure.

3: Add DUTY to CIF Value and then calculate VAT at 17.5% on the total.

4: Add DUTY to VAT and add the carrier's collection fee (Post Office = GBP8) and you have to total you need to pay at the doorstep.

(After all that, I'd guess your ballpark will be about GBP25-30).

There are ways around not paying any of the import charges ;) ...but then the Taxman wont be happy :nono:

Sorry about earlier i knew that VAT was 17.5%, it was the duty I was refering to, but yea it ends up around the say £110 max!!!

Sorry, but VAT was 17.5% last time I looked.

It works like this.

1: Convert the invoice value including shipping to a Sterling Amount using the current notional rate of exchange. (Don't know exactly, but it will be about 2:1). Call this the CIF Value.

2: Calculate DUTY on the above. The rate of DUTY varies hugely depending on the item, between zero and about 40%. Most goods are in the 5% region, but check with HMR&C to be sure.

3: Add DUTY to CIF Value and then calculate VAT at 17.5% on the total.

4: Add DUTY to VAT and add the carrier's collection fee (Post Office = GBP8) and you have to total you need to pay at the doorstep.

(After all that, I'd guess your ballpark will be about GBP25-30).

That's weird. I just ordered one some weeks ago from Samsungparts to France and I did not pay any additional VAT tax whatsoever.

In that case, if it came from outside the EU, you perhaps got away with it. It does happen, sometimes, that collection of taxes is overlooked on import. But one can't rely on this happening; you have to assume that they will be levied. Be aware also that SOME couriers invoice you afterwards for taxes due.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom