1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of HT200 in UK vs Europe

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pcavelle, Jan 23, 2001.

1. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am thinking of getting an HT200 soon, but cannot afford £6k.

I have had a quote for the HT200 from Hi Fi Regler in Germany (http://www.hifi-regler.de/) for DM13780 + shipping to uk of DM190.

This is approximately £4,571 all in, and a little cheaper than £6k here. Has anyone seen it cheaper anywhere?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Had exactly the same experience with my VPL-VW10HT. Mine came from HiFi-Regler at a saving of about £1500. However, a colleague recently had some difficulty in persuading that company to accept Credit Cards (they did so OK for me). Another competitive German contact is www.vsp.de - prices similar to Regler, and no problem with Credit Cards, I gather. Mail them in English at
    projektor@vsp.de

[This message has been edited by nigel (edited 23-01-2001).]

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Well, well! It shouldn't come as a surprise I suppose and its not unique to either Sony or SIM2 but this overpricing in UK is a joke to say the least. I forget the US street price but I'm fairly sure its around £5k once the exchange rate is calculated (I might be wrong!).

I don't mean to be nasty but would our SIM2 reps care to comment on why the European mainland price, which will include local VAT, is considerably lower than the UK price? Does the 200HT unit have a european wide warranty?
    Thanks

Paul

I for one am sick of this fiasco on prices.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Can't help with the pricing but I agree with the sentiment. Rip-off Britain or what!

5. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi!

Although I'm from Portugal, I will second your comments regarding the overpriced projectors from Sim2. I can't complain about the VPL VW10HT which costs here around 6.500 Euros, but, the HT200 has a suggested retail price of nearly 12.000 Euros!! Can you believe it!?

NS

6. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It gets worse with screens, I wanted a Stewart Studiotec 130 Electric and the UK price somewhere approaching £4K. AV Science supplied for less than $2K including shipping and insurance, it also came in 3 weeks where the UK had a lead time of 6-8 weeks!!

Steve

7. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The problem that I see with buying outside your country is that if some problem arises (which is quite common with this kind if gear) who will give you the necessary assistance?
    You can get some kind of 1-3 year warranty, but usually the manufacturer does not honor the contract outside the country from where you bought it.

NS

8. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Nuno,
    Ive bought a place in porches near Armacao de pera,do you know a good place to buy a.v.equipment in Portugal..or in fact a website?

..are the prices of electrical product expensive?

9. Stick/Ripped-Off

Stick/Ripped-Off

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheapest I've found for a Sony VPL10HT in the UK is £3995 inc VAT. But I'm interested in a Seleco HT200 if I can get a BIG discount

Nigel

10. RanjanB

RanjanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who from? Where are they located?

11. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been in touch with Hi Fi Regler today and received the following prompt reply to my queries. This throws a bit more light on the credit card situation and other aspects.

"Thank you very much for your interest and sorry for my bad english. But
    now the answeres to your questions:

1. The projector works on 220 Volts 50Hz!

2. The delivery time would be around 2 or 3 weeks.

3. The delivery to your UK adress would cost 220 DM. But therefore you have to pay in advance! Otherwise (payment by Credit Card) the delivery costs 600 DM.

4. The guarantee still apply to UK, so it is possible to obtain service in UK.

Kind regards,
    Your HIFI-REGLER Team "

Phil

Incidentally I'm a relative newcomer to the HC scene and have found this forum an invaluable source of information. Am now totally bogged down and confused in trying to work out whether to go for the HT200 or the VW10HT. Could end up with a load of agro if I have the Seleco delivered and find my wife suffers from the colourwheel effect.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    PhilA,
    £200 for delivery is a bit much to say the least, especially when the price upfront is @ £65! Maybe you should try the other company mentioned above or do a search on the web for a better deal.

Where's Nigel? Hey Nigel, how much did you have to pay for shipping? Not this much surely?
    Paul

13. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Oops, sorry Phil, also forgot to say - why not get a demo of it someplace in the UK? Ok, I know some will say its unfair if you don't intend to buy the projector from the place you get the demo but you can always ask them to give you a price and if they can't match the German price well, thats not your fault is it?!

If anyone is unhappy about this sort of thing then perhaps they should speak to the manufacturers (or is it the distributors?) for setting such a high price in the UK! Hey, if Sony can drop their prices then anyone can!

All imho of course.
    Paul

14. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I followed your advice Paul and got a quick email off to the other German company last night. Also got further clarification from HiFi Regler and the end result is:

Hi Fi Regler - Up Front Payment DM 14,000
    Credit Card DM 14,380

Projektor - Up front payment DM 13,871
    Credit Card DM 14,300

These prices include taxes, carriage, and insurance.

Now have to fix up a demo somewhere but will probably have to use another name.

Phil

15. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Phil,
    Thats a bit more like it!

Make sure you have a demo before buying - you never know, the colourwheel thing could be a problem but by all accounts you either see it or you don't (Gordon - any comments on this?).

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
    Paul

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Paul B asked how much did I pay for shipping?

Sorry, don't remember exactly. I think it was about DM300 (say £100) but I'm not sure. Actually, as I was spending about £4000 on the thing, and the exchange rate movement from day to day could easily add or subtract £100 from the price, I didn't pay too much attention. To put it in context, if you were buying something mail order for £40, and the supplier wanted to charge you £1 for delivery, would you care?

What I'd do is simply compare the total cost, including shipping, with what you might pay, in total, from somewhere else, and go for the best deal.

By the way - use a credit card for security, but don't quote your number over an unencrypted website or an open email. Better to write a letter. It's worth paying the small surcharge for using your card.

PhilA - I'm a wholly satisfied Sony VPL-VW10HT user. And my wife likes it, too.
    Regrettably, the colour wheel rainbow effect on DLPs is very intrusive to those who see it, and I do - hence my choice of the Sony.

Here's a pointer for you - take your wife into a decent TV shop and see if she can spot the 100hz TVs from the 50hz ones. Yes - and she'll probably see rainbows; no and she probably won't. No guarantees.

The other thing that the Sony has, uniquely, is that it is a native widescreen device; this means optimal resolution for widescreen material. All 4x3 devices compromise on image quality when used for non-4:3 material.

[This message has been edited by nigel (edited 31-01-2001).]

17. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Dazbourne, and everybody else!

SONY VPL-VW10HT LCD PROJECTOR
    £3923.32 inc vat!
    Compare that to every other UK price i have seen and you are saving £1000 at the least and it is from a uk dealer in tumbridge wells.
    www.av-sales.com