Cost of HD plus multiroom?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mjfusent, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mjfusent

mjfusent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have Sky+ and multiroom, if I go HD am I looking at paying monthly:

Sky Subs £42.50
    Multiroom £10
    HD Subs £10

That's £62.50 a month (plus £300 for the box :thumbsdow ) and a bit too much as far as I'm concerned.

Or have I misunderstood :confused:

Cheers,

Mike

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No, you haven't mis-understood - it's a rip off in my opinion. You don't even get the full HD package unless you're on the full SD package.

3. barracuda

barracuda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky+ downstairs and thats it, so I called the new HD number and asked "Will it cost me extra to have my existing Sky+ box installed upstairs, along with HD downstairs", the answer is "no, thats included in the charge!!!!!!"

I know and have had pevious expereince with Sky before saying one thing etc but I will call a few more times and see what happens!

:clap:

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's not unusual for Sky call centre staff not to have a clue. One poor bloke had to phone 5 times before he found somebody that knew that you could have Sky+ functionality without the premium channels for an extra £10.

5. lambonl

lambonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed, just too much, £750 a year to mainly watch sports, would be cheaper for me to drive down to Liverpool from Aberdeen to watch the mighty Reds. Small print also says a HD subscription needed per HD box, so multiroom with 2 HD boxes is £42.5 monthly subs, £10 multiroom subs, £20 HD subs!!! (and of course £598 in boxes)

6. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm in the same boat as you mjfusent, I have multiroom and I simply can't afford to pay an extra £10 per month on top of the £52.50 that I already dish out.

If I were just to get the HD box, would I be able to pickup other HD channels? Most notably the BBC showing the World Cup.
    I could live without the Sky HD channels as they're too expensive at the moment.

It's no wonder that things always take off really slowly in the UK, new technology here is too much of a premium to begin with and it's always sad when I can't afford to jump on the bandwagon :(

7. sweezely

sweezely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, similar question. Suppose you get two Sky HD boxes. Do you pay one HD sub plus multiroom, or two HD subs plus multiroom?

8. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    You pay two HD subs plus multiroom. :(

9. sweezely

sweezely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh well.

10. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So haggle!

11. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Where does it say that?

12. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Found it:

"Multiroom: Provides the same Sky digital channels as you receive under your first Sky digital subscription on a box in another room. Multiroom will not give you your Sky HD channels in another room unless you also take a second Sky HD box and a second Sky HD subscription. You must be a Sky digital subscriber at all times during your Multiroom subscription. Minimum Multiroom subscription period 12 months unless your Sky digital subscription ends earlier. Boxes that receive your first and Multiroom subscriptions must all be connected to the same fixed telephone line at all times. Sky can connect up to four standard Sky boxes or two Sky HD/Sky+ boxes to the same minidish."

13. m40wen

m40wen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Is anyone going to try haggling? £52.50 a month is my limit. I think £20 for multiroom AND HD subs is abit much, especially as there is only a 10fr a month overlap on wanting to watch different channels.

Mind you I could threaten to quit and try blagging it...

14. dfisher_uk

dfisher_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes a bit of a rip off I agree!

I'm wanting to get it for my hdtv upstairs. I'm confused because in the t&c it says "Multiroom will not give you your Sky HD channels in another room unless you also take a second Sky HD box and a second Sky HD subscription."

Does that mean I'll have to take a second hd box & subcription just for watching hd channels on one tv? the tv downstairs is not hd :lease:

15. m40wen

m40wen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No, it means that the box you already have (ie the nonhd box) will be moved downsatirs and wont display the HD channels (which is obvious but they have to state it). They are saying if you want HD in two rooms you need two boxes and two hs subs.

You will need a subscription, say £42.50 plus a £10 HD Sub plus £10 multiroom = £62.50 per month. Its getting abit expensive now...

I suppose you could just get sky hd put in one room and run a magic eye out of the tvout 2 but you wont get hd, and as rf the picture would be poorer on the sd channels.

16. mrspoons

mrspoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I dont suppose anyone knows if it will be compatible with the magic eye that currently works on the Sky+ box.
    couldnt care less about HD in the bedroom as we only have a 15" portable

17. sweezely

sweezely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The curse of the early adopter eh? But, I guess if people can afford it people will buy it.

18. dfisher_uk

dfisher_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Mum pays for the full subscription so I think I may be tempted into paying £20 a month. Still its alot of money for not alot of hd channels!:suicide:

19. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +776
    Is £300 fro a HD box expensive? Especially as it's likely to have a minimum 250GB HDD and be able to record 2 HD channels simultaneously. Similar freeview boxes such as topfields 250GB HDD recorder are £300+ and I would suggest the chips will be cheaper than those for MPEG4. £10 a month doesn't seem unreasonable and is the same amount people paid for Sky+ initially. However, I do feel that the £10 should give you all of the HD channels regardless of what SD packages you have. I'd mainly be interested in getting Sky HD for the hi-def football, but wouldn't mind watching the odd HD movie. However, I'm not bothered with watching SD movies as they are endlessly repeated for months so that after a month or two you've seen them all. I won't be bothering with HD until it's free with 2 premium channels as Sky+ is now. Also, I only have a 26" HDTV and am wondering whether the noticable difference in picture quality would be worth the expense!? :confused:

20. m40wen

m40wen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As far as I know it does

21. m40wen

m40wen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think its the £10 for HD subs AND £10 for multiroom which is a bit hard to swallow for some, especially if you have the full package. I agree the box is well priced though

22. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think its fair enough - so because you are paying an extra £10 you think you should be given the HD for free? Even though that extra £10 is already giving you an extra Sky box in another room.

You pay extra for having a 2nd box and you pay extra if you want the latest Picture quality

23. m40wen

m40wen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Really when the HD channels are just the same as the SD channels, just with a prettier picture? It might be £10 here, £10 there and yes I can afford to pay for it, but the fact is I would be paying a third of the package for not alot of difference. Its not as if HD has an extra decent 10 exclusive channels or anything, and I dont think they can really justify the £10 to watch other channels - the cable companies dont charge this much.

All i am saying is if you have the full premium, they should try and offer a discount on hd or multiroom.

24. Alan11

Alan11
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with everything you say, i think i shall wait for a while and see what happens with the prices.

25. theclassact

theclassact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So from what I can tell it works like this:

My package is All 6 Entertainment Packs + Movies Mix = £36.00
    HD Subscription for 1 Sky+ HD Box = £10.00
    Multiroom for 1 Standard Sky Box = £10.00
    Total = £56.00

If I wanted to add my existing Sky+ Box in as a third box, since I already subscribe to both movie channels, it wouldn't cost me a Sky+ fee. Would I have to pay another Multiroom £10.00 fee (I already pay one multiroom fee for a standard box)?

Each Sky+ HD box requires a £10.00 monthly HD subscription. So if you have 3 in your house, that's 3 x £30.00 a month on top of your subscription for HD (plus an 8 way LNB). However does each additional box, whether standard, Sky+ or Sky+ HD, require a £10.00 multiroom fee too?

If I had 3 HD boxes (and I am not currently planning on spending £900 on boxes) which is what I aim to have one day, would that be £50.00 on top of the channel subscription?