Cost of gear

antighsiothail

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just got a Nikon D7200, I was wondering how much the cost of gear compares to years ago. In the '80's I had a Minolta Dynax 7000i, I can't for the life of me remember how much it cost (think may have been about £300ish) does anyone remember the price of that camera? An internet search hasn't turned up anything so thought I might ask on here (if there are members as old as me!)

Sounds about right. Ken Rockwell includes the original price for the 7000 model with kit lens in the USA Minolta Maxxum 7000 Review. 300 quid put it completely out of the question for me back then :)

at 3% inflation costs double every approx. 20 years so in 1980 if it cost £300 it would be close to £1000 now. So pretty comparable.

UK inflation calculator | Bank of England
Interesting. Did electronics drop in price as quickly as a lot does these days, I don’t remember it doing so much. I guess the internet helps drive the price down pretty quickly?

Second hand market was only through local shops or physical magazines or local paper classifieds in those days possible the old exchange and mart (Thursday was an exciting day for car hunters !), remember no internet so no national/global market to drive prices down everything happened within a 25 mile radius :)

Oh I remember the days before the internet, and tbh buying was so much easier back then. You just walked into a store, had a look at what was suitable, bought the item and was happy. Now you research it to death, go take a look at it, research it some more, search for the cheapest price, go back to the store and get them to match the price, buy it then research it again to make sure you’ve made the right purchase :laugh:

It was very simple back then you just walked into the store and hoped you had saved enough paper round money for the cheapest instamatic on offer ;)

Oh I remember the days before the internet, and tbh buying was so much easier back then. You just walked into a store, had a look at what was suitable, bought the item and was happy. Now you research it to death, go take a look at it, research it some more, search for the cheapest price, go back to the store and get them to match the price, buy it then research it again to make sure you’ve made the right purchase :laugh:
I agree totally with that, I've found my Sigma 18-250 is quite soft on the D7200, so looking at a different 'walkabout' lens, currently going round in circles, with the Nikon 18-140, Nikon 18-200, can't make my mind up.

Sounds about right. Ken Rockwell includes the original price for the 7000 model with kit lens in the USA Minolta Maxxum 7000 Review. 300 quid put it completely out of the question for me back then :)
I only managed to buy it back then because of compensation from an RTA. I think the 7000i was a bit newer than the 7000 Maxxum, so poss a bit more expensive?

Any thoughts on these two? Nikon 18-140 v Nikon 18-200, I don't want to sell a kidney and my firstborn is now to old!

Any thoughts on these two? Nikon 18-140 v Nikon 18-200, I don't want to sell a kidney and my firstborn is now to old!
Depends which 18-200 you’re referring to? That being said the 18-140mm is apparently optically better than either of the Nikon 18-200mm’s

Maybe see if you can try them on yr camera?
The 140 end will need extra magnification to match the 240 image - and that is good/bad... G=it will be from near the centre of the picture. B= you lose a few pixels.
A mayor benefit may be the weight, the size and the f/number. All things to consider depending how you carry/use the gear.

Years ago I was happy with a 3:1 zoom.... but not anymore.
Good Luck.

Here's the scores from DXO. Whilst you should take lab scores with a pinch of salt every review/test I've seen says that the 18-140mm is noticeably better. DXO don't have a score for the VR version of the 18-200mm but again all reviews I've seen show it's no better optically than the original 18-200mm

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 08.14.26.png

Everything I've read about the 18-140 seems to be fairly good. I'm not a 'pixel peeper' and I don't print wall size photos. So I think I'll go with it, only decision now is where from. Jessops have it on for £499, whereas Hdew have it for £199 hmm what a hard choice :facepalm:

Everything I've read about the 18-140 seems to be fairly good. I'm not a 'pixel peeper' and I don't print wall size photos. So I think I'll go with it, only decision now is where from. Jessops have it on for £499, whereas Hdew have it for £199 hmm what a hard choice :facepalm:
Hdew are grey, that being said Nikon's warranty on lenses is worldwide. Seems a no brainer to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom