1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of first time CRT setup?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dinoprada2003, Feb 1, 2005.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hi,

Iv'e always wanted to get into CRT front projection but when I first caught the HC bug about 6-7 years ago CRT's were only in the range of those with seriously deep pockets! Times have changed and with the falling cost of DLP/LCD technology CRT is not as expensive as it used to be.So im starting to wonder roughly how much it would take to get a decent refurb/second hand CRT and have it ceiling mounted and configured? I.E a total package price? with some sort of warranty.Iv'e tried to contact b4 projection but sadly the website is being updated at the mo :( Could anybody give me a "rough" ball park figure that I can approach the bank manager with? :D

2. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  3. joflo

joflo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thanks

I notice they did Godfathers superb install! And if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me :thumbsup:

5. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    You can pick up a decent projector for less than the cost of the install these days.

As it is with everything, the more you pay the further the money will go. Instead of just asking how much to need to expect to pay, determine what your budget is and ask what you're likely to get with that.

If you're lucky and not to demanding, you can pick up a working CRT projector for £300 and have a passable install for around £200. That won't get you a 9" Barco with low hours and ISF calibration though... Although values have tumbled, there's still scope to spend very serious money on CRT if you're chasing perfection.

6. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Hello Andy,

Well how much would I need to lay down to kick the pants off say a modern "hi end" £3000/4000 dlp/lcd projector for instance? Price is dependent upon funds as and when I can go ahead with install as I rent at the moment :(

7. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You should get a killer 8" CRT and properly set up for 5-6k. Dont forget you will need to budget for a decent scaler if you want to get the best result. Try Roland at B4 on his mobile I know hes around.

8. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Well, I personally bought a NEC 9PG off the classifieds board with 1100hrs for £500ish, and set it up myself. It's a very under-rated pj in the UK, and is capable of 780p & 1080i by RGBHV.I run a cheap HTPC with Powerstrip, and that in my opinion is all you need to spend to match if not better a current high-end LCD/DLP.

CRT is capable of so much more than what I've achieved though. I'd benefit enormously from a pro install, but I'm floor mounted and won't worry about that till the carpet has been changed. Also, reluctant as I am to admit it, there are better projectors out there... It's a case of diminishing returns for me, I've other interests and hobbies and can't justify having anymore money tied up in a toy which isn't the kids. Would a £5k projector be 10 times better than mine? I don't think so, though I can live with a few flaws and £4500 channge in my pocket. :)

9. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    You can get set up with an 8" CRT and Pro install for around £2.5k nowadays. A 7" could be acheived for considerably less.

The price of CRT continues to fall.

10. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thanks Andy and Chaps :thumbsup:

Ok Andy what you did seems fantastic home CRT for £500! :eek: However I wouldent have the foggiest idea if I bought a good/bad CRT second hand nor how to set up and or ceiling mount, Hence why for me I think it would be a good idea to buy refurb from a company like b4? As I mentioned im renting a flat at the moment which also has plaster board ceilings :( Now lets say
    I decided to go ahead with a CRT install at my rented flat, Could I ceiling mount a CRT onto plaster board? thanks for the heads up as well on prices guys it' seems unless I want to go it alone it's ballpark of 2.5k-6k :D for PJ install and calibration.

11. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, I got into this game last year. I bought a second hand Barco Graphics 808s with 2500 hours on the clock. I paid for the following to get it all going;

- The Barco PJ
    - Second hand Lumagen Vision HDP scaler
    - Hire of Genie lift to get it on the ceiling
    - Strut for mounting
    - Mark Grant RGBHV cable
    - Paint to spray it black
    - Fixed 16:9 screen
    - James@crt to do the convergence etc
    - Gordon for ISF calibration

Total cost £3685.00 :)

And its mint :thumbsup:

12. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Have a look at my thread CRT Install :thumbsup:

13. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thanks Thunder! :smashin: Fantastic setup by the way :thumbsup:

14. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thank you :) Dont be to put off by what seems to be quite a complicated installation and calibration process. Its actually a lot of fun and very interesting. I really enjoy making/building stuff, so I was like a pig in mud installing it. The end result for the money is way above the sort of performance you would get for a similar priced DLP/LCD :thumbsup:

15. guyvert1

guyvert1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There's a nice Electrohome Marquee 7500 going for a song on an auction site!! :)

16. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My Sony D50 was £1200 then I paid £1400 ish for three new tubes and put them in myself. Its only a 7 incher but it's compact and modern looking and from the posts I've seen is more reliable than a Barco. I'm an electronics engr so I guess that helps. I reckon £3000 is a reasonable price for something half decent if you're fairly savvy and you can be arsed to learn. People on here are very helpful I am totally indebted to the experts who have helped me on this forum... Thanks guys :thumbsup: (you know who you are) they're friendly too :D

17. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first started some 4 years ago, I spent £1100 on a used Vidikron TGS-300 and a motorized screen. This is a video grade only projector, so I fed it with my laserdisc-player and tuner in my video, later moving to a Pioneer DVD player which gave a dramatical improvement over the other sources.

Fortunately, the previous owner of the Vidikron had bought extended warranty, as it virtually spent more time in the repair shop than on my ceiling.

When it broke down again about 1½ years ago, I couldn't get it fixed anymore due to unavailability of parts. Had been looking for something better for a while anyway, and got lucky when I got the opportunity to buy a Sony 1292, in good condition for £1850 a year ago. This was a private seller, so no warranty on this one. Spent around £200-300 on cables, crimping tools etc. and rent of Genie lift. Add to that around £500-600 on an HTPC, which is still the cheapest source of a high-quality image, compared to what you'd have to spend on a DVD player and separate scaler.

I set the pj up myself as best I could and am quite satisfied with the image, although a real pro would no doubt be able to improve on it.

Still, less than £3000 got me going with a liquid coupled, color filtered 9" CRT projector. Of course I had the screen from the previous one, so add a little (or a lot... ;)) for such one too.

Regards,
    Erling

18. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I went the (reasonably) cheap and cheeful route...

Started with a US import dvd player, which set me back about £250 just over two years ago.

Picked up a Videologic Digitheatre system for £185 the same day - perfect for me given that I have neighbours to consider...and a pet dog that's never recovered from 'meeting' Jurassic Park's T-Rex - he left the room quicker than a whippet!

Took the CRT plunge last year with a second-hand Seleco SVP320 Plus, purpose-built two-tier table and 8' motorised screen from Sevenoaks all for £900

Then treated myself to £150 worth of component cables, plus an S-VHS cable for about £40.

Finally, spent £175 with Chris Frost for professional install and convergence - absolutely worth every penny.

That's £1700 (gulp) for a set-up that gives me a far more pleasurable experience than my local multiplex - for example, when I watched Spider-Man 2 at home, the sound didn't pack up during the last ten minutes (which the cinema denied despite the entire audience complaining!!!)

Oops - forgot £35 spent on black-out material, which covers the entire wall behind my screen - certainly helps to enhance the experience once the lights go out.

19. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Blimey, that's another Cambs based CRT user... I didn't realise that the Fens' projector users were so enlightened. That's yourself, Thunder, Alaric, me... Anyone else?

I'm a bit aggrieved Chris setup your Seleco for £175... I seem to remember being quoted £300 or thereabouts. ;)

20. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Andy,

You obviously didn't factor in the premium that applies to venturing into March.

The cost of running in power alone would have been astronomical!

Just kidding.

I think he took pity on my convergence, me being a lowly Emneth boy myself.

Nebby

21. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hiya,

I didn't Think any pro's (of the CRT Type) ventured arround here - Does Chris do Barco's or just Seleco's then ???

Oh and as for the Q - I origionaly picked up a BD800 for 600ish, large run time but good tubes, run with a PC it was great, i've since moved on to a BG801s which came in nearer the 1000 mark a few years back, which is in excelent condition. Setting up from manuals isn't as big a deal as people can make out, its just following things step by step, and the first time you get an 8' image your jaw will drop regardless of the finer points of the set-up.

Most of the info is out there, time is what it takes rather than any mystisism from what i've seen - Thats not to say a Pro can't improve, but a lot of that is down to calibration rather than set-up - but actualy if your watching a TV, then a Pro calibration would make a world of difference there, but most people are happy with brightness and contrast tweaks (If the even do that properly).

A CRT needs a stable install though, and you wont screw a 70kg machine into plasterboard - The are large machines, even the new 'smaller' units are *HUGE* compaired to an A4 size LCD/DLP, think 1' x 2' x 3' and you won't be far out.

However if in rented accomodation, or you can't be hassled with a ceiling alteration, they can be used in table top mode, mount it in a coffee table, or i even used a slattted 1m tall bench in my old flat (though it was rocky and hence not the best solution).

If it was me, i'd read some bits on here and get a feel for things, generaly when buying a machine run time isn't so relevant as the tube condition, if you can see the tubes and they have a burnt spot, or a burnt rectangle then they are bad, a small light shading is ok and if the tubes are good and the PJ powers on and you can see a picture of sorts then its usualy not too bad, if you can see it working with a nice pic, all the better - Grab a cheap one and give it a go, i'd recomend a Barco data/graphics 800 (400-700 range), or higher to start with the 600 is an analogue chasis and lots of pot twiddling. Before buying work out where it will go, grab the Barco calculator and check distances etc and do a bit of research and you'll find it not so hard and daunting, and for that sort of money, Amazing if you can live with the size and total blackness constrants

cya,
    Lee

22. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Chris is the resident Seleco expert, having got to know them inside out when he worked for Owl. That said, Gordon did a stunning job of getting the best out of a Seleco 400 I had way back when.

Gordon has car will travel. That written, I'm waiting till the next Easyjet Glasgow to Stansted for a penny promotion. An hour in the air, then an hour on a train and he's here. :)