Cost of DVD-RAM's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by joels, Nov 26, 2003.

1. joels

joels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am thinking of going with the DVD-RAM format when I buy my DVDR. The cost of DVD-RAM's does put me off a little though. Does anyone know of a place that sells cheap DVD-RAM's? £5 for a DVD-RAM compared to £2 for a DVD+RW is a big difference!

I live in the UK and I was wondering if I ordered some discs from the US, for example http://www.meritline.com/4ridvdire.html, would they work on my UK recorder?

Are Ritek DVD-RAM's reliable? Could they be used with a E50?

Thanks in advance,

Joel.

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    SVP are selling double sided RAM discs in a caddy for £5-89. Works out less than £3 per 4.7 GB. I personally have not tried the above brand yet. As i have plenty of caddyless mirror brand RAM discs that were just £3-00 each but are out of stock at SVP at the moment.

I didn't know Ritek did RAM discs! I have trouble with there DVD-R on my Panny machines but RAM is RAM so I expect they would be ok. Where have you seen Ritek RAM discs advertised??

Remember when comparing the cost of RAM to that of +RW that RAM discs have a life expectancy of some 100,000 writes where as +RW is only a thousand and also the RAM discs in a caddy are protected from sticky fingers and damage. well worth any extra cost me thinks.

Go for it joels the RAM/DVD-R format is just the tops.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/catalogbody.html

3. joels

joels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you may of just swayed me to go for DVD-RAM :)

I found the Ritek RAM discs at www.meritline.com but the shipping costs from the US seem very large :(

Do the DVD-RAM machines like the E50 take both caddy and non-caddy discs?

You wouldn't happen to know if and when SVP will get some more mirror brand discs in? Is there anywhere else that sells them?

Thanks again,

Joel.

4. happyhooker

happyhooker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I only buy single sided 4.7GB Panasonic DVD-RAM in caddies and pay £6.99 with free shipping. From here ....

DVD-RAM

I can't really see the point of buying the double sided as they are virtually the same price as 2 x 4.7GB. I suppose they take up less room. If the recorder could record/play both side without having to turn it over, then I could see the point :cool:

I have found their service to be excellent and come recorded delivery in a couple of days.

I would rather pay more and have official Panasonic disks, people will probably think I'm mad, but that what I like :rolleyes:

BTW with Panasonic and RAM format you get the wonderful Timeslip feature which is amazing, plus you can record and watch a program form the same disk at the same time :smashin:

6. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7dayshop do a 5 pack of Panasonic non-caddied 4.7Gb DVD-RAM discs for £14.29 + 99p delivery - works out at £3.06 each.

I use a mix of both caddied and non-caddied - caddied for watch and wipe programs, non-caddied for what I want to keep, as it is easier to transfer to my PC and burn to DVD-R (my PC DVD burner only takes non-caddied RAM discs).

7. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the e50 takes caddied and non-caddied RAM.

I think the difference is price between RAM and DVD-RW is justified by the flexibility of DVD-RAM.

Regards

Dude

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i'll second what dude says above, the flexabilty of RAM is fantastic - the timeslip function is a god send.

Gary

9. joels

joels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for all your suggestions and help! I've ordered my E50 and I'm going to get my disks from 7dayshop. :) I'm glad that I asked for your advice and went for RAM instead of going straight for RW. Can't wait for the boxes to arrive! ;)

Thanks again,

Joel.

10. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,

Caddied RAM - http://www.lynxdv.com/index.php? area=product&name=ram&type=9

Good value. NOTE: Double sided (9.4GB) therefore cheaper than from 7dayshop!!

cheers

Mel

11. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just phoned 7dayshop & they're out-of-stock of the Panasonic 4.7GB DVD-RAM 5-packs (advertised @ £14.29), with no delivery date for new stock.

:(

12. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The mirror discs have been out of stock for at least a couple of months. SVP are excellent people to buy from but when they lose stock of something it does tend to be quite a while if and when they return.

I have got lot's of the single sided Mirror diasc and have had no problems at all with their reliability. If you see advertised double sided RAM discs I would advise you to give them a miss because if you get finger prints on the recording surface the machine is unlikely to read them until wiped clean.

Now it's quite easy to avoid getting fingerprints on the single sided discs but almost impossible with the double sided. that is why I advise you avoid them.

As for caddied double sided RAM disc I think they are a great way of saving space and turning them over is no different to putting in a new disc.

Good luck with your new machine I am sure you will be right well pleased with the quality you get.......

13. CH3

CH3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    as above.. www.lynxdv.com £5.95 for a 9.4GB double sided, cadied DVD-RAM. Been using them on my Panasonic HS2. U don't even have to format them.

14. SmokyToby

SmokyToby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got Panasonic 9.4GB double sided, caddied DVD-RAM for £9 and single sided 4.7GB caddied for £5 from www.avland.co.uk
    Orders over £20 are post free. But check out availability, as I had to wait 3 weeks for mine.

15. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How does the caddy disks go in the HS2
    P@T

16. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,

They accept caddied disks

cheers

17. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It just goes into the tray with the metal section leading like a floppy disc on a PC. If it's a double sided version, put the side you want to use face up.

You'll see that the non-caddied versions sit down into the tray a bit.