Cost of a Tiler

MSW

Distinguished Member
I am having a room tiled today

80 x 80 Italian Rectified Tiles
26 sqm (30 sqm based on 15% waste)
6mm backer boards are required
Grout and Adhesive is also included
The floor is 18mm T&G Chipboard that is recently laid (I.E. it’s a robust and level floor)
The floor has Water UFH so this may make backer board fitting harder

Materials (Not inc tiles) = £890
Labour (1 x Tiler & 1 x labourer) = £1600

I arranged and paid for the tiles to be on site

The tiler is arranging for materials.

I also appreciate there is circa 4 hours of time in quoting for the job and loading his van with materials

My question

Does £1,600 Labour seam right?
I guess I will know more when the job is done. E350506E-E36A-40CA-B6FE-1A3941384A25.jpeg

Last edited:

Russa

I paid £1,500 for 50sqm of travertine tiling. Price included labour, adhesive and grout. Took 2 guys 4 very long days. This was 5 years ago.

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
How long does he think the job will take? reckon that is at least 4 days of work which works out at around £400 a day.
Its by no means cheap but seems reasonable.
However when it comes to pricing there is a lot to be said for people who are professional, come recommended and are reliable.

MSW

Distinguished Member
How long does he think the job will take? reckon that is at least 4 days of work which works out at around £400 a day.
Its by no means cheap but seems reasonable.
However when it comes to pricing there is a lot to be said for people who are professional, come recommended and are reliable.

As I’m not the most forward thinking i did not ask how long it would take.

Thanks for the point about the rate being reasonable

As it happens he is not starting today anyway

1) He was due to start Monday
2) Texted me to say it would be today instead on last Friday

He called today to say he needs to go back to a job because the tiles he fitted are not sufficiently covered by a shower that has been fitted and, he can’t get hold of his labourer because they are not picking up the phone.

ufo550

Whats you thoughts about him, with the delays etc. Unfortunately for a one man band, set backs can be disruptive, but thats not your problem. If he came recommended, I would stick with it.

My son has a bathroom & kitchen business, he's had a whole load of problems with tilers historically. Does some of it himself, when he has the time.

MSW

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately the wife blew him out (Crazy I know)

I think the delay of 3 days (Thurs start instead of Monday) and the fact that it was now 1 person doing it rather than 2 was just to much.

Which is a pain all round, hoping that I get most of the £1,260 I paid back

Donald duck

Distinguished Member
Any problems, additions or deviations can cause a real problem with scheduling works.
I have a job ATM that's gone from an emergency to a further 6 days. It's meant I've had to shuffle the customers around.

MSW

Distinguished Member
Any problems, additions or deviations can cause a real problem with scheduling works.
I have a job ATM that's gone from an emergency to a further 6 days. It's meant I've had to shuffle the customers around.

I can certainly understand

I think it’s priorities and our job was not big engine for him.

One reason he gave for the initial delay was that when he arrived on one of his jobs he said he lost a day because the room was not ready. I did ask why not out that job back rather than ours.

MSW

Distinguished Member
The tiler would have a credit account with their supplier - 30 days?

Oh dear, definitely not looking good then as he said he would need to return the materials and wait for a refund

Given that material were £890 and I paid same plus 20% labour why he could not just refund the labour there and then. Just assumed he preferred to do it all in one go

brunation

Oh dear, definitely not looking good then as he said he would need to return the materials and wait for a refund
No idea on that part just assuming trade account.

Given that material were £890
Which you may have to front again before you get it back (if you get lucky with another tiler).

MSW

Distinguished Member
... wait till you try booking a new tradesman.

He is coming on Thursday

In truth I should have contacted this person first off as he has done 3 jobs for us in the past

Normally I tend to be very price conscious with this type of job and will do the prep myself and also arrange all materials and scout around for tiles etc

This time around I just went to (what I would call a good independent tile shop) and he recommended said tile so just went with that for ease

MSW

Distinguished Member
Have already ordered same

6mm backers
Cement
Tape
25mm screws
Grout and tile adhesive

MSW

Distinguished Member
Not if he's a moron. Which he sounds like.

Hope you get sorted in the end.

Can’t comment about the trade account etc.

Whilst the Mrs certainly felt he was a moron, I did not get that impression but with doubt a let down

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom