Cost of a bathroom install?

Don't worry, they're on holiday so I'll leave them a note.

Probably a post it note over the hole.

Love my Dornbracht shower stuff. Cheap when you buy on Ebay, though took years to find the bits I needed at a sensible price!

Here's a couple of pics of it. We all love pics :D

IMG_2719.JPGIMG_2724.JPG

I think £5k on what is a tiny bathroom is ridiculous.
If you are swapping like for like, as in same size bath, same position toilet and sink, it should be no where near that.

Depends on the quality of fit and the expectations of the customer.

For example- when I'm doing a bathroom refit, I will take the radiator off the wall and chuck it in the skip. Before I install the towel radiator, I'll chop the floor up and gain access to the pipe work below. Then I'll chase the walls out and bring the pipe work out from the wall.

That's just one example.

Another main issue with bathroom refits is how badly damaged the walls are once you've taken the tiles off. Some jobs require every single sheet of plasterboard to be removed and replaced. That's two days right there.

Also tanking- to properly tank wet areas, it takes time. It's a hidden extra and once the tiles are up the customer is none the wiser.

I see pictures plastered all over FB of professional bathroom installation business' not tanking or not us wing tile backer board.

Here in the south, if I quoted £5k for a bathroom refit, I'd be booked up until 2020, instead of Feb '17.

As I said before, the size of the bathroom doesn't really have that much impact on cost.

To install a luxury cloakroom can actually take 10 days. Scary but it can be just as much work as a basic bathroom.

I made a lot of mistakes when I did my first bathroom refit. I realise that now. And I realise how many steps are actually in evolved in doing it properly. So I would respectfully suggest that unless you know what is involved, it makes no sense to judge what is a good price and what is good value.
There are so many corners to be cut to bring the price down, but if you want it to last, you really don't want to. However, if you change every few years anyway, you might as well.

Four of us use our bathroom at least once a day. And it has stood up well and looks almost as good as when it was completed some two years ago. it's a constant source of pleasure to be in there. Sadly my daughter spends hours in there too :(

Sorry to jump in, we are currently looking to have our shower area replaced as it has leaked at the tray seal and damaged the walls around it. I'm waiting on a couple of quotes but just had one provided by a company called Opun (don't know if anyone has used them in the past) who contract out to their "approved" tradespeople.

Their quote has just come in and is below.

Does this look reasonable?
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 16.17.34.png

It seems acceptable.

Plus the bespoke option is ok as they usually work out expensive plus there's quite a lot more work involved.

One thing I would ask them though....'which type of tanking do you use'

Actually I'd ask what shower screen they use too.

It seems acceptable.

Plus the bespoke option is ok as they usually work out expensive plus there's quite a lot more work involved.

One thing I would ask them though....'which type of tanking do you use'

Actually I'd ask what shower screen they use too.

Cheers, the only thing putting me off using them is the guy sent to quote was in and out within 5 minutes and didn't really seem interested in what I wanted with regards to making the shower bigger (as can be seen by the whole bespoke screen quote).

I would have been quite happy to go to 900x760 tray (or 900x800) and having a standard door (it would fit even with the slop of the eave) rather than going the full 1400 width and having to go bespoke.

go with your gut instinct.

If it was me, I'd want to meet the guy who's doing the work. I'd want to see photos of his work and I'd want to see his qualifications.

But I'm not normal

go with your gut instinct.

If it was me, I'd want to meet the guy who's doing the work. I'd want to see photos of his work and I'd want to see his qualifications.

But I'm not normal

It was the guy doing the work that came round. Just seemed uninterested to be honest.

Have a local firm coming Tuesday so will see what they come up with.

Thanks again :)

Wahreo can I just say i've found it really interesting reading your views and responses, thanks for taking the time to post such detailed info and respond carefully to points. I've definitely learnt a thing or two!

That quote is very scant on details of what they will be supplying. You can be they will be the cheapest they can find. Wonder what the conditions are like on the five year guarantee? Somehow I don't think they will be back! (for warranty work I mean)

Just had another quote for my shower. Looks reasonable to me (though it doesn't specify which actual shower control/head so that may push the price up)

Would love some more input

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 19.02.06.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 19.02.16.png

Only bit I'm not keen on is paying so much up front but don't know if thats normal
Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 19.00.45.png

Wahreo can I just say i've found it really interesting reading your views and responses, thanks for taking the time to post such detailed info and respond carefully to points. I've definitely learnt a thing or two!

Absolutely. It's a shame all, or even most tradesmen, aren't as conscientious about their work. I'm a DIY'er and clearly not on Wahreo's level, but it's a sad state of affairs when the two times I have used tradesmen in my house I wished I'd done the work myself as I'd have done it to a better standard.

i have to say out of the 4 plumbers I've used in my house, only 1 has done a job I'm even marginally happy with, the rest have either been terrible people, complete letdowns, or bodgers. In being honest, i know my skills aren't anywhere close to a professional, but in terms of finish in the areas that count, id rather rebuild the bathroom myself (save for plastering) and figure it out, than have a bunch of trades come in and do it.

but I've been doing the house renovation almost entirely by myself/with my dad (who is a builder, so lots of learning, but its been mainly me due to family health reasons)

i am quite surprised how high the budgets people are saying is though... maybe i need to whip out the calculator and figure out my stuff too!

Done my bathroom at the start of the year I done the bulk of the work myself I had to pay.
For the walls to be bonded out level, plumber to reroute all the copper pipe work under the floor boards (which were then caped of for when I came to fit the bath etc) and a tiler for 2 days.

Rough costs were
walls bonded £400
Plumber £150
Tiler £300
Wall Tiles, grout, adhesive and tanking kit £350
Bath l shaped, shower screen and panel £350
Rad, Mirror bath fittings (thermostatic bath deck taps, shower rail kit, sink taps and waste fittings £320
Row of units with built in sink and toilet draw unit and cupboard unit £400.

Rough room size 2.5m x 1.7m

Last edited:
Just had another quote for my shower. Looks reasonable to me (though it doesn't specify which actual shower control/head so that may push the price up)

Would love some more input

View attachment 756597 View attachment 756598

Only bit I'm not keen on is paying so much up front but don't know if thats normal
View attachment 756599

I like the way the Quote has been done.

I can't really comment on payment terms because everyone is different.

Perhaps it would be reasonable to pay the 50% once all the equipment is on site?

It seems a lot to me to be paying 70% up front.

As I say, everyone is different.

If I'm supplying a complete bathroom suite then I like to at least cover the cost of that once it's on site.

I don't really start charging for the labour until something visual starts happening. Usually after I've spent a good couple of days tiling.

There's usually a lot of work to be completed before I'm at the tiling stage too!

Done my bathroom at the start of the year I done the bulk of the work myself I had to pay.
For the walls to be bonded out level, plumber to reroute all the copper pipe work under the floor boards (which were then caped of for when I came to fit the bath etc) and a tiler for 2 days.

Rough costs were
walls bonded £400
Plumber £150
Tiler £150
Tiles, grout, adhesive and tanking kit £350
Bath l shaped, shower screen and panel £350
Rad, Mirror bath fittings (thermostatic bath deck taps, shower rail kit, sink taps and waste fittings £320
Row of units with built in sink and toilet draw unit and cupboard unit £400.

Rough room size 2.5m x 1.7m

A tiler for two day cost you £150?

very reasonable.

I struggle to see how people can run a business on that day rate.

A tiler for two day cost you £150?

very reasonable.

I struggle to see how people can run a business on that day rate.

Sorry that should read as £300 he was there for 2 days. A mate who runs a business let me have one of his lads and his day rate was £150.

a few years ago i did my bathroom by myself and the point when youve got no ceiling no floor and no walls is quite sobbering and i reckon it cost me about £1000 and took me about 3 months from start to finish money saved time lost. all in all im glad i did it because i learned loads

a few years ago i did my bathroom by myself and the point when youve got no ceiling no floor and no walls is quite sobbering and i reckon it cost me about £1000 and took me about 3 months from start to finish money saved time lost. all in all im glad i did it because i learned loads

I feel your pain, I did ours in 2009 and it was the first time I'd ever tiled or done any plumbing. It's not perfect but 7 years on still looks good, and more importantly my wife is more than happy with it! I spent around £1500, but that wasn't a particularly good quality suite (it's still fine though and nothing's happened to it). I'd spend more these days.

I've since done the entire kitchen/dining room, which I started last year when our daughter was 2 weeks old and I went to back to work full time the week after I started it.

I've never been as stressed in my life, I was getting up for work at 5.30am and finishing in the kitchen at 10-11pm. The only thing I paid someone to do was remove the kitchen window, open up the cavity wall and fit a composite door. He didn't buy enough bricks, and when he went back they'd sold out so he got some that didn't match. After he'd finished and the mortar had dried out properly that wasn't even close to matching the old stuff. The latches on the door are slightly stiff to engage, I measured the corners of the frame and it was 15mm out of square! Surely that's first thing you get right along with it being plumb and level.

It's nearly a year since I finished it, and the only thing that bugs me about the whole job is that rubbish brickwork.

And I can confirm that there's a whole lot of work and expense that you don't see unless you're actually doing the job. I kept a track of everything I spent, and the amount on materials really added up.

Last edited:
Exactly the same reason I'd never get anyone in to do work for me.

Even if it's not my trade, I still often do a better job than the pros, even if it takes a lot longer.

I'm a firm believer in people not being born with a conscience these days.

Everyone wants a quick buck.

Nobody thinks about things properly. Most of the projects you will undertake in your own home will include a good long time taken up just by thinking about how to do it without even lifting a finger.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom