Cost for latex floor screed?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Timmy C, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Hoping someone can give me some fair ball park figures here. Anyone know roughly what a fair price per square metre inc materials to put a latex floor screed over an existing concrete floor for the purpose of then laying 'overfloor' heating panels? Total area around 20 square metres and based in Surrey which I assume won't help with the cost! Job being done as part of a large extension rather than calling someone in just for the day. It wasn't priced in the quote, work was done and now I thinks someone's trying to pull a fast one with the added charge so would appreciate any input before I confront them.

Just to be clear, I only want the cost for the latex screed work and materials... cost of and labour for UFH panels and tiling have been priced separately.

2. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886
    Cost of latex you can figure out yourself, wickes sells it as well do many others and the info will give you an indication of coverage per pack

So then it's just labour on top. Unfortunately in my experience many people take the pee. At extremity I was quoted £1,200 to screed a room which was 1.2m x 4m. I did it myself with a friend and it cost me about £60 in material and 3 hours work between us.... And when I say screed I'm not talking latex I'm talking full 60mm sand and cement. Some people just price per job but quoting you afterwards leaves them and you in a very difficult situation and I would have expected them to inform you of this charge first else it's unauthorised work in some ways.

What was the quote? May be easier for people to tell you if they're taking the biscuit than estimate what a fair charge would be.

Grangey

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Well I know they are taking the...! I just need to know how much a fair price is so I can demonstrate in court that they are trying to rip me off. As far as I'm concerned, if this bit of the work wasn't quoted for separately then I should have been able to assume it was included either within the extension build cost, the UFH fitting cost or the floor tiling cost. It's one company doing the entire extension from start to finish right down to decorating so all cost should have been included in the quote but it's not quite so back and white.

The problem arose when they included a £2000 charge in the quote for sub floor preparation to existing floor assuming it was floorboard and joists. My assumption was that they would need to massively insulate under the joists in order to stop the heat from the UFH escaping downwards so it sounded reasonable but I was confident the floor was concrete anyway. They said if the floor is concrete then depending on the extent of digging it out involved the cost could be more but it will need to be calculated on site at the time.

As it turns out the floor was concrete but they then suggested an alternative solution if I was to put up with a step up into the kitchen. This was 'overfloor heating' which is laid on top of the existing floor and then tiled over so raising the floor height. I agreed in order to save money and time but come payment time they are refusing to remove the £2000 wooden sub floor preparation amount from the quote despite there being no wooden subfloor. The argument being that although they didn't have to do the wooden sub floor prep, the did lay a latex screed over the existing concrete floor and that costs the same! That equates to 100 pounds a square metre for materials and labour!

So before confronting them further, I was hoping to be able to say that job is X amount of pounds worth of work so please explain where this figure comes from.

4. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886
    Well in all honestly mate as it sounds like you're heading in a legal direction asking for estimates on a forum primarily dedicated to AV enthusiasts isn't going to get you far in terms of a) legal grounds, b) feedback, or c) a resolution. It sounds very suspicious that's for sure so the best place you could go for feedback would be posting a question on Mybuilder or similar where you will actually have trade professionals able to give an indication based on the feedback you've provided what they might quote for such a job. That's far better than anything you're likely to get here I'm afraid bud.

Just my 2p for what it's worth. Good luck though and keep us posted.

Grangey

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Oh yeah I realise that and if it comes to going down the legal road I will be getting professional quotes and advice. I've been a member on here for over 10 years so tend to trust the advice from forum regulars, who between them seem to have good advice on just about everything, so this is always my go to place for initial advice on anything. I'm just trying to get an idea of what others may have paid to have similar work done rather than an exact price for the work in question.