Cost effective interconnects? DNM?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nobo, Sep 17, 2007.

1. nobo

nobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I don't have any decent interconnects. I'm after some interconnects and possibly speaker cable - as inexpensive as possible, but without compromising the system too much / feeling like I need to upgrade (at least anytime soon!).

I've heard that DNM speaker cable terminated with bullet RCA plugs are great for the money, but am slightly bewildered by the various option. There seems to be several types of DNM Reson interconnect and speaker cable, reports that the Eichmann Bullets (c. £25 for 4) are very fiddly to fit. Supposedly the speaker cable (e.g. Reson Mk II at £6.15, rather than the dedicated interconnect cable) works fine for interconnects. Or is it best just to go with the pre-terminated RNM Reson interconnect (non bullet) at £37 (bullets are £75, which is too much for my budget). I don't really have the time or patience (or tools!) to deal with soldering up several Bullets myself (particularly if they're very fiddley, as I've heard); but if it's cheapest to buy the plugs and cable separately, perhaps there's somewhere in London that would solder them up for me.

I have 2 nearly identical systems, each consisting of source (e.g. DVD player, Cambridge Azur 640v2 CD, TV digibox, soundcards, etc) into Cambridge Audio C500 preamp into 2 x Flying Mole DAD HT-100 Pro (digital monoblock amps) into PMC TB2 or TB2+.

I've also heard good things about some of the Chord interconnects.

Finally, is CAT 5 worth trying?

Any thoughts / recommendations welcome.

Many thanks!

2. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Should really see if you can borrow some, and try them out for yourself to see if your ears like one make better than another.

3. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    How about Mark Grant interconnects
    And Van Damme blue speaker cable
    - have a look in the power buys and read some of the threads there.

Those should sort you without any need for upgrading.....

MarkP

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Hello nobo

Lots of discussions/arguments will ensue when you suggest Loudspeaker cables do or don't have a sonic signature.

The folk at Flying Mole don't recommend you spend too much on loudspeaker cables.

The VanDamme Blue series 2x2.5mm loudspeaker cable mentioned by MarkP80 works well with the DAD-M100pro HT - terminated with standard, Silver or Airloc 4mm plugs; see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388257

If you want a decent set of line level interconnects terminated with the Eichmann 'BulletPlug' RCA plugs that wont break the bank have a look at the BetterCables Silver Serpent II audio cables; see http://www.bettercables.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=13

Joe

5. nobo

nobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming!

I'm going to add some musings in the meantime in another thread: "Comparing cabling"