Cos I'm Stoopid

S

Sgt.Colon

I was wondering why do Amp's have S-Video in and Video in and the so forth? :)

So you can loop it back out again to your display, and er........................video switch.............:rolleyes:

Kev

Well I have my DVD plugged into my TV and via scart and then a digital coax from the DVD player to the AMP and then a cable from my Sub into my Amp and hey Presto :D

It's mainly for Americans who don't have scart connectors. Their equivalent of RGB is "component" and they will wire several component video sources into the amp with one lead going out to the TV.

Most people in UK don't bother using video switching in the amp but wire the sources directly to the TV via scart.

I have been holding a one man campaign against video inputs in AV amps as they degrade the picture and obviously cost something to fit.

Manufacturers like Cyrus and Naim have at last started bringing out AV processors without any video switching for a purer signal but they will sell an add on box for anyone that wants one.

I hope that everyone follows suit but as the major AV market is over the pond, I doubt whether they will.

Exactly the same as me !!
I dont use it to video switch either............:D

Kev

Just a point here Ian - properly implemented video circuitry does not degrade the picture in any visible way, nor need it interfere with the sound. I am talking about products in the AV8 class though - your average receiver is another kettle of fish. And you do get the advantage of a decent OSD that can be superposed on the main picture (without any loss of quality if it uses a broadcast quality pixel switch like the AV8) so you can see what the processor is doing at any time. As processors get more complex this is becoming essential IMO.

Finally there is no way you can sell decent numbers of processors without video IMO. I believe the reason other manufacturers leave them out is either for reasons of back panel space and/or cost or because they don't know how to build them properly (good video design is very different from audio design). Except for reasons of space there is no reason to put them in another box - in fact it will usually add quite a lot to the overall system cost.

John Dawson (Arcam)

Thanks for al your help guys. It's a lot clearere now. Just some more empty sockets on the back of my AMP :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom