1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corrupting disks

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by h0l1yw0od, Nov 16, 2000.

1. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Has anyone else put on a disk which was perfect only to find it unwatchable?

Case in point - R1 Blade from New Line Platinum. I watched this film several times after I got it and it was fine no problems what so ever.

When we got a new computer from Tiny with a DVD-ROM (Matsu****a SR-8584A with Cyberlink's PowerDVD software) I was anxious to see what goodies were on the ROM section. I looked at the disk and everything was fine. Fast forward several months and I decided to watch the movie on my 717 only to find that the end of the movie had, for lack of a better word, corrupted (from the squence of the bad guys arriving at the temple).

The picture degenerated to blocks and the picture froze/jumped about. In panic i tried it on the computer (which I had previously hacked through the registry settings in Windows) and at the same point it crashed my computer.

Having tried many of my ROM enabled disks I am now wondering if the corruption has anything to do with my computer. (I tend to love my movies and treat them as best as I can - the disk itself is crystal clear. There are no scratches at all or any marks.)

This worry came about 2 weeks ago when I recieved American Beauty. I popped it in the computer and had a quick look at the ROM features. The following Saturday (movie night) I sat down to watch this classic only for it to pause and break up on chapter 17 (Will somebody please pass the asparagus). Was this because of my computer? And if so how? After all it only fires a little laser like a cd player. Any help/advice greatfully recieved.

PS I also noticed some break up on my Austin Powers 2 documentary again after playing with the ROM features.

2. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry hol, can't help you with your problem
    but I will be interested in any replies. As I
    sat down to watch Stigmata (R2) the other night, about halfway through ch 16 it started
    freezing and blocking, and when I skipped forward, the problem persisted to the end of the film. I tried cleaning the disc as this usually solves most problems, but it was still knackered. I couldn't see any scratches on the disc, and it played perfectly well the first couple of times. I read in a current HC mag that there is a repair kit for DVD's, if so does anybody know if it is any good, and where I can get one.

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This could be bad news..sorry. When this happened to me, it started with one or two disks, & then progressed to most of my collection. The problem actually lay with my player. (Panasonic A-110) Not economicly viable to repair. New player bought!

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

4. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I can't see how it can be my player if it also happens on my DVD-ROM as well.

P.S. I also know of his happening to the R1 Matrix.