• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Corrupted VOB files...only on PS3

Brooktop

Established Member
I've been trying to back up some of my DVDs to put onto my 300Gb PS3 HDD. I use DVD Fab Decrypter and then put the resulting folder onto a portable HDD (using the old 40Gb PS3 HDD) and then transfer it to the PS3. The problem is, there always seems to be at least one of the VOB files that the PS3 can't read and gives an error message that the data file is corrupted.

The odd thing is, the resulting rip plays fine on the PC and even if i then burn that to DVD, it's fine...but all this is defeating the object - I simply want to put the folder on my PS3 so I don't have to load disks up :lease:

I realise that DVD Fab Decrypter is a bit old hat, but when I try its replacement 'DVD FabHD Decrypter' - that was giving some really weird results: some of the VOB chunks would randomly take one of the other audio tracks ie a foreign language or the director's commentary.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Try DVDShrink or DVDDecrypter (both freeware) both have an option to rip to a Single Vob

iirc both will output a single vob and an single unneeded ifo you can just delete

Brooktop

Established Member
Thanks. I already have DVD Shrink...but I only tend to use it AFTER I've decrypted the DVD and to shrink it to <4.7Gb. It's no longer supported so can't get round modern disks' protection. I've also tried converting to 1 VOB file but have had problems. In most cases, it simply crashes my PC. And anyway, it's very difficult to get a single file over 4Gb onto the PS3. External HDDs have to be formatted in FAT32 to be read by the PS3 and you can't have a single file larger than 4Gb on that system.

I will try DVD Decrypter; it looks like it's from the people who do ImgBurn.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I already have DVD Shrink...but I only tend to use it AFTER I've decrypted the DVD and to shrink it to <4.7Gb. It's no longer supported so can't get round modern disks' protection. I've also tried converting to 1 VOB file but have had problems. In most cases, it simply crashes my PC. And anyway, it's very difficult to get a single file over 4Gb onto the PS3. External HDDs have to be formatted in FAT32 to be read by the PS3 and you can't have a single file larger than 4Gb on that system.

I will try DVD Decrypter; it looks like it's from the people who do ImgBurn.

if you connect to PC hosted streaming software from you PS3 (PMS/TVersity/WMP11) instead of streaming the file you can copy the file down to the PS3 HDD by hitting triangle and selecting copy.

Brooktop

Established Member
I looked into that...and I'm using WMP11 (I'd previously used TVersity). The problem is, the PS3 doesn't recognise the files...I think......although I will double-check tonight.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I looked into that...and I'm using WMP11 (I'd previously used TVersity). The problem is, the PS3 doesn't recognise the files...I think......although I will double-check tonight.

WMP11 won't recognise Vob's and has a trait that it will only offer files for streaming that it can recognise itself. Just rename the .Vob's to .Mpg and WMP will recognise them and offer them to the PS3. Won't harm the files they will playback as either extension.

if you network is up to the job why not just stream them though? Have a go with PS3 Media Server. much better than WMP or TVersity

Brooktop

Established Member
:hiya:I tried renaming them to mepg and that didn't work either. I'll persevere but may try that media server if needed. I recently re-installed the OS so am trying to keep 'bloat' to a minimum and just install what I really need. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom