Corrupted Video, Help required!

bouncer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So last night I was at a gig, And was recording in section, and as I came to finishing this file, I got kicked, dropping the phone and there for it is corrupted, My girlfrind and myself would greatly appreciate it if someone could do some magic on it and get it to play or if any parts are recoverable.
I have uploaded it to megaupload for download here.

Also tried the wonders of youtube, but it "failed to convert"

Last edited:
can't access the file, says it's temporarily unavailable.

have you tried loading it in videolan? I've had that play half downloaded videos with no trouble so you might get lucky..

Should work now, And VLC Player? Was the very first thing I tried.

still can't access it.. what format is it in btw? I've had some joy fixing avi/mpg in the old days using tools off the internet but i haven't tried with stuff like 3gp, flv, mp4 etc

edit - it's there now so that's my question answered, but i can't download it anyway, bandwidth exceeded, Virgin and their stupid transparent proxies :rolleyes:

Last edited:
hey, i got the file now. Can you record another 2 videos, same resolution as the damaged one, just short ones and upload them for me? I want to compare the file headers

Last edited:
downloading Ok over VM here...

Last edited:
those videos are both the same btw

at the moment i'd say it's a good news, bad news situation.

The good news is that i think the problem is that the file header is missing which is why it won't play, it looks like the data is in the file, there's just a big empty space where the header should be.

The bad news is i can't get it to work properly by pasting in the file header from the other video. I can get vlc to play it, but it only plays 1 second and it's just black

Can you make me a video a few minutes long? Because when i put in the file header from the 1 second video, it means it thinks your proper video is 1 second long which isn't enough time for me to tell whether or not it's playing anything. The ideal scenario would be if you could make one the same size as the corrupt one, as the header is more likely to match up

Last edited:
Great news I guess, Can you give me some info on how to get the header? I have a 24 min video there somewhere, so if I can extract that, It will be easier than uploading file that is 1GB big... Stupid Sony Xperia Arc and your camera! Why you make so big files?!

well if you open the file in a hex editor (HXD is a good one) you will see in a good video that it starts with

....ftypisom (this is the ascii translation, it's the actual numbers on the left which are the header)

and ends with

free

but the corrupted one has nothing between those two things, whereas the good file has quite a lot of data

basically what you want to do is copy all the data from between ftypisom and free out of your good video and paste insert it into the bad one and hopefully it'll then play..

hopefully that makes some sense?

Last edited:
Yea made sense, Tried using the 20 something video I had, but I get an Out Of Memory error trying to copy it in HxD, The 10 min video I had, results in a black screen for the 10:27. Do you have any other suggestions of tricks?

Oh also, A good video at 22.47 the header is this, ....ftypisom....isom3gp4....free................................ and it goes on like that for a very VERY long time, so I don't think that idea is going to work :/

Last edited:
afraid not, I think this is what needs to be done to fix it, but apparently mp4's have really complicated headers which can change size based on the size of the data part, so it needs to be pretty spot on to work, and probably needs to be the same length or longer than the corrupted file. Afraid i don't have enough knowledge of the format to be able to figure it out :( there's meant to be a really good mp4 repair tool out for the mac but that doesn't help me, don't know about you?

Nope sadly on a PC,

Im unsure as to how long the file even was!

Im guessing no more than 20/30 mins as I have half an hour or footage, and it lasted for roughly an hour.

Im gutted and annoyed if im honest, But thanks for the help! Currently uploading the 1GB file, I shall post a link to it when its done in the morning, In the mean time. I will give reddit a try! and sleep.

Once again, Thanks for your help, Much appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom